Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

Hi New Girl

:: Say Hello

Go down

Hi New Girl

Post by CassandraArlene on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm

Hello,
Have had tanks several times in my life,but nothing more than guppies goldfish etc. Currently have a 60 gallon running with about 25 guppies.Have a 30 gallon I am just putting together for them and changing over to a salt water on the 60 within the year. Which will be my first and know nothing about salts yet. Have 2 more tanks being given to me bounce but don't know their sizes yet.I need to learn so much and any help would be appreciated. Was referred to this site. Not sure what I will be doing with the new tanks I am getting yet.Thinking freshwater.
Thanks for tips and adding me.

CassandraArlene
Shrimp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi New Girl

Post by Yeti on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. As one that is still learning a lot about salt water, this site has been great, there are plenty of articles and threads you can follow to see how folks have done their build.
I found it was read, read, read, ask questions and then read some more. Then take it slowly. Find the right gear for the size of tank, decide what you want to keep in the tank, then set off slowly.
And remember, enjoy it!
Yeti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraArlene on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:51 am

Thanks Yeti,
Reading and research I love so that wont be a problem. It does feel over whelming right now though. Reading other post I have no idea what people are even saying most of the time. Just going to have to learn what everything is. Was advised to not make a tall tank into salt on another site but rather start smaller on the 30 gallon than the 60 for $ reasons would it be that big a difference going 60 gallon salt? Sorry for all the questions.Also have run across a tank for sale with pump and light he isn't sure but thinks its a 15 gallon. but wants $45.Then told me name a price. Is that a good deal. Guess after getting my 60 for $15 I think all should be such good deals lol

CassandraArlene
Shrimp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

Tall tanks are more challenging for SW as the light has to reach much further for the corals at the bottom. As for which tank to start off with, well from what I've read, the larger the tank, the more live rock you can have, hence more natural filtration. After that, if you go with a sump/refugium under your tank (much better than a Hang On Back filter), you can then add a skimmer, filter sock, cheato/calerpia and more live rock.
Yeti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraArlene on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

Have decided to use my 60 gallon with either my 30 or a 20 for the refugium. What is "live" sand and rocks? Sorry or all the questions. As I said I know nothing right now but happy to learn. Thank you ffor answering my many questions.

CassandraArlene
Shrimp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:21 am

OK, so live rock is the "marine" rock, not normal or even "holey rock, that's used in Cichlid tanks", this rock is extremely porous, and is a great place for bacteria to live, bacteria which acts as a filtration mechanism.
Live sand, is sand which again has become filled with the bacteria. There are 3 schools of thought. 1 is Deep sand bed, the idea being that it allows for a large build up of bacteria to breakdown the natural chemicals that come from feeding the tank. Downside is that this can lead to gas build up, which can leak out, and cause holy c**p in the tank. Medium sand bed, some feel this is a half way point. Bare tank base, no sand at all. place your smaller rocks on the tank glass (larger rocks and the main rock feature are spread on egg crate or some other method of spreading the rocks focal weight on the glass.
This may seem strange, but look at Ritter's tank, and you can see that with the right placement of rocks and certain corals (LPS especially), not a lot of glass shows.

As for the refugium, go for which ever tank has the larger base area I would say. As to the design of the refugium, well hell, everyone one has their one favourite style/designs of what they need. I like what I like, J Davis builds his his way..etc etc in the end, it's what works, based upon your skimmer base plate needs, return pump etc.
Yeti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 8:18 am

Welcome to ETAK! I see Yeti has been steering you in the right direction. One thing I might add... Try to arrange to visit some Reef Tanks in person. Ask questions. Look in/under the stand... there's alot of valuable work going on behind the scenes.

Is your 60g drilled? (RR = Reef Ready/ Drilled).
J.Davis

View user profile http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraArlene on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Lost internet in storm last night so just now able to look up alot of the terms ya'll are using. I feel very ignorant right now. Not sure what you are referring to on the drilled. Think I may not and if it is what I think then no. Right now it is housing my Guppies.

CassandraArlene
Shrimp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grawlfang on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm

welcome to the forums. and by drilled he means to ask if you have internal overflows and water draining through the bottom or back Smile I would agree if it has guppies then probably not drilled Smile
grawlfang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraArlene on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

You are correct then. No its not drilled. Boy do I have a lot to learn. My planned "up and running date" is May 4th next year.Is that date possible?Hate to bother everyone. If this were Dogs I would know what to do,used to be a breeder, currently I have no clue but am researching and learning fast as I can. Thank You

Last edited by CassandraArlene on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

CassandraArlene
Shrimp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 1:27 am

4th May gives you bags of time to get set up and ready, in the end it will come down to what you can afford. This obsession, I mean hobby, can cost you as much as you like... and more. The golden rule is, never, and I mean never, never ever, never ever never, try and calculate how much you have spent. As you get into the hobby more, you will up grade, and want to upgrade even more.
However, the fact of the matter is that you can have a happy reef tank running, without spending a fortune. Like many of us here, we have a family, a budget of free money, we have houses to run, cars to run etc. etc. Our addiction to reefing has to be controlled.

That said, you have your tank. If you were ready to start the getting wet stage, then buying your live rock from Burgess at $3/lb could be a good move.
Live sand is not an issue, you just decide what type of bed you want for your tank and if you want a sand bed, you buy the sand you like. If it's not live sand in a bag (you can buy bagged live sand, for a heavy price), you rinse it like crazy.
And you have clean sand, then you just post "I need some live sand", and anyone will give you 2 or 3 cup full to mix in your sand bed.

So you have a tank, water, live rock, and sand that is live or becoming live (buying sand and just adding is far cheaper to buying bags and bags of live sand, but make sure you get the right sand.. yeah even sand can be tricky...sorry)

Filtration... just read up on that, and decide which route you wish to take.

Lighting... It depends upon what you wish to grow. (Oops, sorry, that is the Reefing side of me, if you just want fish, then life will be easy, but corals... welcome to the dark side.).

Lighting Class 101. Based upon my own experience and what I've read, so this is not gospel.
I am a newbie in this field compared to the guys that have PAR meters, for measuring the light in their tanks at various depths.

Budget level
T5's and Compact fluorescent lights.
Cooling requirement = computer fan
Penetration of tank depth. Need to have SPS close to the top (6 inches), other types of coral, LPS and Softies seem for me to do well 20-24 inches away.
BUT, there are many types of light bulbs, so even that isn't gospel... this is what I mean about it being difficult.

Metal Halides. The tried and tested way. I have no experience of these lights, and don't intend to either. They are great for growing coral, but it seems they generate so much heat that some require coolers for their water.

LED's the new Messiah of lighting. No heat to worry about when set up correctly, superb penetration of the depths of the tank, so many variables that your mind will fizzle. Get the right ones and your tank will glow with life, get it wrong and you can burn the corals. I really am still trying to understand what I want to buy, but from what I've read, a dimmer option is a must.
Come on guys with LED's, help the lady.
Yeti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 6:04 am

Also I see bigflashgordon is selling sand, if this is the sand that Jason brought back from Florida, it's lovely sand for a tank, a really nice white sand. I know, I have some in 2 of my tanks.
Yeti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Say Hello

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum