Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Baby cichlids and future planning... - Page 3 Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2011  gallon  DUAL  2014  ORDER  2012  

Baby cichlids and future planning...

5 posters

:: Breeding

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Baby cichlids and future planning... - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby cichlids and future planning...

Post by Shank Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6icY9-O_Fg
Took this vid last night, had just cleaned the tank and reoriented the powerhead, I'd seen the original Acei school like this, but not in such quantity.
Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Baby cichlids and future planning... - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby cichlids and future planning...

Post by Yeti Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:42 am

They look really healthy.
I see you have a couple of Moss Balls, do you find they do anything? Have they grown much? I understand the theory of the moss using the nitrates in the water, but have read mixed reports on their effectiveness.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:26 am

With Cichlids I wouldn't really recommend them... it seems inherent in there nature to pick at the balls when they get agitated :/ what I will say is now that the tank is fully cycled they do seem to eleiminate algae growth on the glass... I like them because of this as well their novelty, no they haven't really grown since I both them but they've certainly shed... what I will say is they are the only 'plant' that have survived with the crushed coral substrate.
Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Stickzula Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

Moss balls grow really slowly and because of that they are poor nutrient sponges(they don't remove very much nitrogen from the water column). They prefer cool water with low light and lots of aeration. The are in fact a form of algae that is considered a national treasure in Japan where they are found in lakes. It is a protected plant over there.

Vals would do well in alkaline conditions, but most likely the reason that plants haven't done well in the crushed coral is because of a lack of nutrients. Good substrate is a key to success with rooted plants.

The fact that the tank is fully cycled is most likely the reason for the absence of algae on the glass. Ammonia and nitrIte are more easily absorbed by algae than nitrAte and therefore provide better nutrients causing increased growth. Since both of those elements are absent in a fully established aquarium it is likely that algae growth will diminish until another food source is available. Phosphate is is usually a constant food source for algae in the aquarium. Iron is another thing that causes an increase in algal growth, but you probably won't experience that in your setup(unless you add it).

Yeti, you may be thinking of an algal turf filter. This is where you make a portion of your sump into an environment where algae will thrive. Once established the algae will remove nitrogen, carbon, and phosphates from the water column. This nutrient removal makes it so that there is not enough nutrients in the water for algae to grow in the aquarium. It is also supposed to reduce or eliminate the need for water changes. I doubt that you would see any benefit from adding moss balls. They just aren't effective at removing nutrients from the water. Other "cichlid safe" plants(anubias, java fern, java moss, etc.) are also slow growers and hence not good nutrient sponges.
Stickzula
Stickzula
Scorpion Fish
Scorpion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3