Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  gallon  ORDER  2011  2014  2012  

Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space!

+3
JoseH
BigBlue
DonnieP
7 posters

:: DIY

Go down

nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Empty Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space!

Post by DonnieP Sat 15 Jan 2011, 9:45 pm

I have a jbj nano 28 and I built a filter basket for it with a larger center chamber for Chaeto and I run Purigen in the bottom chamber and floss in the top chamber so I wanted a good way to run Chemipure Elite so I built this reactor. This thing works great forcing most of the water through the chemipure and not around it. Here is what I did.

I got a 2" clear mailer tube and cut it 10" long and cut a piece of 1/8" plexiglass for the bottom I cut it 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" square. I purchsaed a Via Aqua 80 submersible pump from ebay for $9.99 shipped. I originally built this as a media reactor with a nylon bolt that went the length of the tube. I glued two nylon nuts stacked on top of each other on the bottom and I could screw the nylon all thread bolt into these nuts. I found two plastic bottle caps, I think they were medicine bottle caps and drilled several holes in each and then I cut two pieces of foam to go with these for the top and bottom of the media chamber. Anyway when I decided to use this with the Chemipure in the bags, I removed the center nylon bolt and dividers, it all just unscrews from the nuts on bottom.

I then took another piece of nylon bolt ( I got this nylon all thread and nuts from ebay too) and cut it about four inches long and glued a plastic water bottle cap on bottom and I found an old 250ml jar that held Purigen and cut the neck that had the threads for the screw on top off and superglued these threads to the top of the mailer tube, this gave me the screw on top and the nylon rod keeps the Chemipure from rising up.

For the water to get out of the tube, I cut a rectangular hole just below where the water line of the rear chamber stays in my tank so when the pump is on the water runs out this hole in the mailer.

It really works well, I just unscrew the cap and work the chemipure down into the tube, replace the cap, insert the whole thing into chamber three on the tank and plug it up. Now my water is actually getting forced through the Chemipure.

Reactor2
[img]nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Chemip11[/img]

Reactor in place in my nano!
[img]nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Reacto10[/img][img]

nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Chemip12[/img]
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Empty Re: Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space!

Post by BigBlue Sat 15 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm

Nice Work! Thanks for sharing...

What is a mailer tube and where did you find it.
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

nano - Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space! Empty Re: Bagged Chemipure reactor for a nano reef tank with limited space!

Post by DonnieP Sat 15 Jan 2011, 9:54 pm

BigBlue wrote:Nice Work! Thanks for sharing...

A mailer tube is a clear piece of plastic tube kinda thin used to mail items through the mail. Kinda funny how I came acros it, I found a place on the web for ordering all kinds of stuff for mailing like boxes and such, well they had a link to order a sample of thier products so I ordered a sample mailer tube. They sent it to me free of charge, it was 2" x 12", so hey can't argue with that. You could use clear 2" pvc but that stuff is expensive even on ebay.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by JoseH Sat 15 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

DonnieP wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Nice Work! Thanks for sharing...

A mailer tube is a clear piece of plastic tube kinda thin used to mail items through the mail. Kinda funny how I came acros it, I found a place on the web for ordering all kinds of stuff for mailing like boxes and such, well they had a link to order a sample of thier products so I ordered a sample mailer tube. They sent it to me free of charge, it was 2" x 12", so hey can't argue with that. You could use clear 2" pvc but that stuff is expensive even on ebay.

Do you have a link to the website for the free mailer tube?
JoseH
JoseH
Admin
Admin

http://www.etakc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 16 Jan 2011, 1:40 pm

Sorry
I didn't keep a link but you can search "clear plastic mailer tube sample" on Google and find several there. It can also be built from one of the 2" gravel cleaners as another member has done.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Gypsy Sun 16 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

Thats awesome! I learn something new everyday! Smile
Texas Gypsy
Texas Gypsy
Reefer
Reefer

https://www.facebook.com/trculpepper

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBlue Tue 08 Feb 2011, 2:51 am

Donnie - how often do you change your chemipure on your nano? What brand are you using?
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:45 pm

First change was at six months, I plan on changing it every six months, this stuff lasts a long time. I use the chemipure elite. I have used regular chemipure for decades, this stuff is kinda magical, it is really some good stuff.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Tue 08 Feb 2011, 6:10 pm

does it tumble in the bag, i was always told it should tumble a bit to be the mose effective.
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 08 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

No, Chemipure does not tumble in the bag, its really not made to be in a reactor, it is more for passive filtration or placed in a canister filter. I did build an extra part for my reactor to use carbon and such without being in a bag. I have been planning on trying the chemipure in that without the bag, it would tumble in there. I did notice the other day that water had been channeling in the reactor after I changed to new chemipure, I didn't notice this on the first bag I used, it may have been because of a crease in the bag when I put it in there. I rearranged the bag and it is working fine now.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by southernlost Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:20 pm

donnie im having trouble keepin my nano tank under 80 degrees i keep the heater at 72 but it still didnt work so i just turned it off and my water was great and it was 75 degrees before i put the gulf rock in the tank also everything on the rocks died the rocks smell horrible too any suggestions ? it spent four days out the water i guess it was too long
southernlost
southernlost
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:25 pm

I'd do several large water changes until your test results read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. If you can see things that are dead go ahead and pull them out.

As for temp... What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? If you can, raise the lights some. Try pointing a powerhead on the surface to get more surface agitation. Blow a fan in between the lights and the waters surface. If it's enclosed in a canopy open it to get some fresh air in there.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by southernlost Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

ive done a few water changes and i scrubbed the dead stuff off the rocks im goin to do another i did one yesterday and now my nitrite levels are at 5.0
southernlost
southernlost
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

Nitrates are 5? Or nitrites? If nitrites are at 5 I'd keep doing them. Even up to 60% a day.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by southernlost Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:45 pm

yeah that little glass tube turned deep purple
southernlost
southernlost
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:55 pm

Oh man. That stinks! ... literally. It's a ruthless cycle... literally.

The more things that die... the more ammonia and nitrites you get... causing more to die... and more ammonia... and more to die. Keep doing the big water changes to try to keep the cycle from continuing.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by southernlost Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:59 pm

can i just let it run its course just wait it out and then at the end of the week do a big water change and then just scrape the dead off this is getting to be a pain ... the water never heated up before like this and the water stinks i did a water change and two hours later the water was stinking again im about to just pull the rock out and let it sit in a bucket with a powerhead for a week or two
southernlost
southernlost
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:00 pm

southernlost
Water changes will help but you gotta let it do its cycle. If all you have in there is the liverock, I would let it do its thing, if you keep changing to much water you will kill the cycle, its gotta have ammonia to break down to nitrite and then nitrate. Like Matt said, if you see dead stuff just siphon it out with a turkey baster or something. What I did on mine was run a hot magnum filter on it, this will pick up dead stuff and clean up the water. If you don't have one, you can gladly borrow mine, this will do you more good than anything else.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down