Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids! Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  2012  gallon  ORDER  2014  2011  

DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids!

+10
A-Rog
1fish2fish
Win
Shank
taimoortwm
Daniel1381
Texas Gypsy
BigBlue
JoseH
DonnieP
14 posters

:: DIY

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids! Empty DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids!

Post by DonnieP Sun 16 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

I did this project a few years ago when I was planning an African Cichlid tank. The background worked out great, the tank even made tank of the month on Cichlid-Forum.com Check the second tank down November 2003 Tank of the month click here
Anyway, I have included a link to my old catfishing homepage that has the background build in detail with pics. I left it here because over the years I have had lots of requests for the info and pics. If anyone builds one of these please post pics and show it off. While your there click on the link to HOME and check out some of the catfish pictures. I have the world record Flathead, Bluecat and channelcat listed.

LINK TO BACKGROUND BUILD

Last edited by DonnieP on Sun 16 Jan 2011, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids! Empty Re: DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids!

Post by JoseH Sun 16 Jan 2011, 4:44 pm

WOOOOOW That tank looks awesome. Do you still have it?
JoseH
JoseH
Admin
Admin

http://www.etakc.com

Back to top Go down

DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids! Empty Re: DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids!

Post by BigBlue Sun 16 Jan 2011, 5:13 pm

Sweeeeeeeet!!!
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 16 Jan 2011, 5:24 pm

JoseH wrote:WOOOOOW That tank looks awesome. Do you still have it?

No, I donated it to my Son I did'nt want to mess with freshwater anymore and he ended up selling it for like $1400.00 to his Sargent in the Army last year, of course I did'nt see any of the profits :>(
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Gypsy Sun 16 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm

Awesome job!!! I would try this myself, and although it may not be that hard, I'm sure I would find a way to screw it up!

Badass write up too!
Texas Gypsy
Texas Gypsy
Reefer
Reefer

https://www.facebook.com/trculpepper

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel1381 Mon 17 Jan 2011, 2:30 am

Wow donnie great job!!
Daniel1381
Daniel1381

Back to top Go down

Post by taimoortwm Tue 18 Jan 2011, 2:24 pm

I have a question. Does the material safe for the fish?
taimoortwm
taimoortwm
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 18 Jan 2011, 2:43 pm

Yes it is safe for fish, the quickrete is used in potable water systerns. I cured this background in saltwater to set the color and cement. The background is still in the tank and is still holding up well and its been what 7-8 years since I built it. The only thing it might do is raise the ph of the water for a brief period, once algae film starts growing ph will return to normal. I built it for African Cichlids so I wanted a high ph anyway so it worked out great.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by taimoortwm Tue 18 Jan 2011, 4:09 pm

Thanks , that is good to know. Very Happy
taimoortwm
taimoortwm
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Sat 22 Jan 2011, 2:15 am

DonnieP wrote:No, I donated it to my Son I did'nt want to mess with freshwater anymore and he ended up selling it for like $1400.00 to his Sargent in the Army last year, of course I did'nt see any of the profits :>(

My brother was notorious for this! Sold my highschool freshman bug project, made like fifty bucks off my hard work and didnt see a dime. THEN, a year later he sold my Warhammer 40K army for like 400 bucks! Granted I feel like a tool even admitting I used to play this but I really enjoyed painting those guys... I felt robbed both times haha!

This was an awesome project, I'm really glad you documented the whole process. Really seems like something I could get into whenever I get a bigger tank. What led you to abandon freshwater? Not going to lie, sort of feel out numbered by the number of salty's on this forum. Don't get me wrong, Salt tanks are incredibly beautiful, have I just not seen the light or something?!
Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sat 22 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

This was an awesome project, I'm really glad you documented the whole process. Really seems like something I could get into whenever I get a bigger tank. What led you to abandon freshwater? Not going to lie, sort of feel out numbered by the number of salty's on this forum. Don't get me wrong, Salt tanks are incredibly beautiful, have I just not seen the light or something?!

I always had reef tanks until 1998, I had a bad accident and was unable to care for my reef anymore so I sold all the rock and livestock, put the tank in storage until I decided to do this project, I figured African cichlids might take the place of salt but it was not to be. I finally just gave my son the tank but the reef bug just would not go away so I finally retired this year and sitting home with nothing to do, I had to get back into reefing. I'm tellin ya once you go salt, there aint no goin back.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Sat 22 Jan 2011, 6:58 pm

donnie ive wanted to do this for 5 years now, i just havent worked up the nerve to do it (or had the means to hold my stock while it cured)...

can you teach me how to do this for a 55??? ill give u a used 8 gallon tank... huh huh???? Very Happy
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sat 22 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

John
Man it is really easy, just follow the instructions I wrote out, The only thing though with a 55 is it is so narrow front to back you will not be able to glue multiple layers as I did. My tank was 18" front to back. Two layers is the very most you could go, one even better. The hardest part is finding the materials. I still have one piece of the three inch styrofoam 2'x8' if ya want it, but I'm sure Cassity Jones in Longview has it pretty cheap prolly not worth the drive to Marshall. Be sure to use the Quikrete, not just cement. A tiny butane torch is a must to get the rock effect. A little practice and its easy, you can do it GO FOR IT!!!! Send some pics..

If you got to Cassity Jones for the styrofoam, you may have to tell them they have it, they keep some there for one of their contractors and some of the guys working there may not even know they have it. If you do go there, ask for Gil Martin, tell him Donnie sent ya and what you want. I dealt with Gil for years in my work, good guy.

BTW, it does require a few days curing, don't know about the stock:>(
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Sun 23 Jan 2011, 9:33 am

lol donnie.... i just dont wanna have to clean up the mess, i was hoping we could do the carving at your place?? HAHAHAHA Very Happy
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 23 Jan 2011, 11:30 am

You right on the carving, man that stuff sticks all over you especially if its hot weather.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fish2fish Fri 04 Feb 2011, 4:51 pm

Awesome project! I have been wanting to do something like that but I was uncertain about safe materials to use. Thank so much for the outstanding directions and photos!

I have not crossed over to saltwater yet. This will be a great project for my new front tank.

It does seem like there are more saltwater enthusiast about. Maybe there is something to the salt exposure.

Thanks for this great idea!

1fish2fish
1fish2fish
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Rog Sun 06 Feb 2011, 8:03 am

You did a really good job. Wish i could do something like that.
A-Rog
A-Rog
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by layne Sun 06 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

can i make this to use in a saltwater tank?

layne
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 06 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

layne wrote:can i make this to use in a saltwater tank?

I guess you could but why would you want to?
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

DIY Freshwater 3/D background for African Cichlids! Empty Dam but that project gave me some seriously time consuming ideas

Post by Yeti Tue 08 Feb 2011, 3:37 am

I found your diary fascinating and really encouraging. I'm hoping to get a larger tank soon, fingers crossed, and I was picturing a tank which had a landscape such as you built in one back corner (Effectively climbing rapidly from the front corner up the side, and then proceeding along the back about 1/3rd the back length before sloping down, about 1/2 to 2/3rd along the back of the tank).
I'm thinking this may allow me to create a multi shelf like effect (I can see it in my mind, think curved shelves around a corner) with possibly even a swim through (never bother walking when you can leap straight in....you may fall, but you learn faster).
If you have the picture in your head, then you can see areas where there maybe a possible "still water area" on the sand/gravel, due to the corner and over hang, which is my concern, I'm thinking a build up of sediment could be a problem...apart from building and internally supporting the whole concept.
THEN!....as I said why walk when you can leap. I was wondering if the same principle could be used to design and make your own sunken log.
Yeah..take the easy route I know.
But. If I was to carve expanded poly into a short tunnel, and then add longer slimmer pieces (in the hope of creating a log effect) do you think I could get the finish of the smooth wood? Or is it going to be cheaper, easier and more effective to fork out $$ and buy something that may work.
On the other hand, I may end up just making my own rocks, using the same colour (yes English spelling, sorry but I refuse to change somethings) from poly and cement, so the corner background and the "artistically tumbled" rocks tie in.
This could even qualify as a project. In which case I guess I will be obliged to take a plethora of pics, so all can enjoy my pains...
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 08 Feb 2011, 3:46 am

Oh BTW, working in retail, where they sell the kitchen appliances, which come with so many shapes and sizes of packaging poly foam, I'm thinking I can experiment on the poly shaping very cheaply. It's rarely in sheet, but I'm thinking the appliance corner blocks will be easy to bond. If you are wanting to have a play and will be in the Tyler Mall, let me know, and I will see if I can sort out some good pieces, same goes for styrofoam (poly) sheets, I will now be looking out for those to keep safe and unbroken for rock tank bases.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

Sounds like a good project, you could always incorporate a return water line in the construction in that corner to give you current in that zone, The heater could also be hidden in there and have the return flow by the heater.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:38 pm

You could do a refugium behind the other corner too if you wanted to get real fancy with it. All of the filtering you would need could be hidden into that rock. lol.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by sheridan Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:40 am

I finally started construction on my background. Thank you Donnie for the inspiration and instructions!! I didn't want to copy cat so I changed my design. Look here for the progress so far.

www.sheridanstotts.blogspot.com
sheridan
sheridan
zoanthid

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Mon 14 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

oh that looks real nice Smile good job Smile love to see more pics Smile
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: DIY

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum