Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 6 Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

ORDER  gallon  2014  2012  DUAL  2011  

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

+9
cowfish
Siberman
ritter678
Jeff
J.Davis
TluvsT
DonnieP
matt_longview
Yeti
13 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 6 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by ritter678 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:55 am

ritter678 wrote:

What kind of slimmer do you have?

Slimmer? Auto correct got me!

Do you have an ATO? In sump skimmers don't work very well unless the water level is constant.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 6 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:58 am

I didn't know I needed a slimmer too, hell, now my fish are too fat, looks at them ))))ooOOoo;> so that's them to fat? Hell, so now I have to get them into FatFish Club? I thought the skimmer made them slimmer, taking the proteins out of the water.
It's an Aquarium Systems something or other, I got it from Jason, who knew I have a 30ish Gallon tank, so it's going to be suitable in capacity .... it was running his 80G frag rack at one time. But darn it, this is alchemy, then again I am learning that Reefing is a lot of alchemy mixed with some science.

Just we don't know which part is Alchemy, and which part is Science.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:11 am

Ahh the something or other. You just turn the thing-a-ma jig. Easy as pie...

You've got to know the model because some need a certain water height to work well. If a feed pump and gate valve determines the internal water level turn the air all the way off, set the water level (which will be specific to the model) then adjust the bubble height with the air valve. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:27 am

My ATO is me, and my bottle of RODI, so that may be the problem.
So I either top up when I get up, get home and when I go to bed.... or set up an ATO!
Matt you have so much to live up to "Reef tanks take less care than a Freshwater tank once the tanks set up".... yeah, when you have the whole world of chemical elements plumbed into timed feed. Cracks up.
Don't get me wrong, I love this tank in so many ways that even my FW Peacock Cichlids can't match.
But I didn't know I would have to learn plumbing, Calcium solubility, Phosphate & Nitrate fluctuation, the fact that CO/2 has an effect upon the pH of a tank. Do I need to add Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, Iodine, Kryptonite, Whatthehellganese, Maganese, Weakknees, Phytoplankton, Zooplankton, Forrestgumpankton.

I am honestly perplexed.
I have Monti Caps that at one time were struggling, and now are thickening in their shelf, then one day the bright green looks dull, but the browns are thriving, and then 2 days later the centre of the green goes super bright green.
My Pinks Birdnest was growing wonderfully, then started to die back, such that I fragged it, and think I may have one frag alive, and yet the Pinote, which they say is much more sensitive was thriving.
We are talking an area of maybe 6 inches by 9 inches with all these frags in.
And now my Pinote is fading fast..............but the Monti Cap is blushing in colour!
And yet other things grow beautifully.

Dam but I find this tank so intriguing, but also so amazingly baffling.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

So my Watchamacallit has to have the air set to dingibell with the water at howsyourfather and everything will be hunkydory. Why didn't anyone tell me that before?
Jeez it's just basic science!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:42 am

Yeti wrote:So my Watchamacallit has to have the air set to dingibell with the water at howsyourfather and everything will be hunkydory.

Yes!
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:46 am

I just changed it to those settings! I wish you had told me sooner, I now see a whole load of crud coming out, and lots of foam.
Much as I like talking to you... I just have to go back and watch the crud-extraction!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:47 am

Oh hell... does this mean I am addicted?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:58 am

Yeti wrote:
Matt you have so much to live up to "Reef tanks take less care than a Freshwater tank once the tanks set up"

Did I say that? Maybe it was "i couldn't care less about a freshwater tank" lol.

I'll admit, I'm a terrible person to compare the two. I had a freshwater tank running for a total of about three weeks. It's actually my current 29g! Lol.

There is a lot to learn, and even when you learn all you can you still run into mysteries. It's why all of us are such a close knit group... because we experience what 99% of people never will right in our homes, and it wouldn't be possible without the group knowledge. Just this week I had a coral that was great in my tank for weeks... I moved it to the bottom of the tank after lights were out and before the lights come on the next morning 1/3rd had rtned. No idea! I went from a 3.5 inch colony to two frags in 24 hours. Everything else is great! :-s

So yeah... when I said easier I absolutely did not mean less maintenance. I actually don't know exactly what I meant. Hahaha. I do think it's easier though. I sucked at freshwater!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:59 am

And yes. You're addicted! Just own it.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:19 am

Cracks up. When you want to keep FW let me know, and I will show you the easy way. 55G Tank, and once every 3 months do real maintenance.

BUT... for real involvement, stress, pleasure, glee and pain... that has to be Reefing.
In the UK I was a damned good Gardener. I could grow most plants, and had a garden that others enjoyed.
Over here, oh heck, Texas is like growing in the Sahara for me. I just mow grass.

Reefing is like gardening. You have to learn what your garden is. The soil (Sand/coral gravel).
Which part of your garden is East/South/West or even North facing, and which plants thrive in the different light intensity of the day.
Are the plants needing protection from the wind, moderate wind, or can take full exposure.
Are they Ericaceous? Like Azalia needing acid water or the Clematis that like the alkaline soil?
All that and keep fish happy.

Reefing, is saltwater gardening, just I don't have to wear Wellington boots, and use my shovel.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

Key is you don't have to. You still can if you want to... ya know... just because you love shovels.

You're right. Gardening except plants randomly die.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:10 am

OK, so you learn, learn......learn some more...and then realise you still have a whole encyclopedia of learning in front of you. You can't say this hobb....passion, gets boring.

I have my sump up and running (no comments Jason), things were looking good. I'm trying the 60 LED mains hang on flashlight I got for $14 on sale. I have the skimmer (alchemy 101), and my Eheim 1048 return pump.
This is where I'm hoping my Father isn't reading this. I messed up.
He was an Engineer working on Slurry Pumps, which naturally work with water, the mix of the aggregate (solids) and the water (fresh or salt) have to be pumped up onto either land, as in a mine, or a barge, as in dredging.

So even when I was 11 I knew about a "head of water", at the age of about 16 I knew what cavitation sounded like in a pump. And still I messed up.

I miscalculated on my pump. I love Eheim products, and I have no complaint about this pump. It does what it says on the box.
My complaint is on my maths, I messed up.

I couldn't work out why I have the cleanest, protein free water in any tank, scum... I laugh at the idea of dirty scum or froth.
That would be because my return pump isn't powerful enough, so the water in the skimmer end of the sump is so clean.
I've been turning over just 80G per hour in total, and that includes the refugium area. Fortunately I have 2 x 550G Koralia and 1 other (around that size) Koralia in the tank, so in tank flow is good.

I am now thinking I need something like a Mag 5, which will at 4FT head of water give me 282GPH which will, allowing for volume of LR, give me about 10x turnover of water.
Hopefully this will mean the skimmer will start to take the yellow cats pee out of the water again, and still allow a controlled flow through the LR/Sand bed.
I'm just hoping Petco has them in stock in L'view tomorrow.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:19 am

Ahhhh. Yes that's a great lesson learned! Check with Sean as well... he may have something you could use at a better price. :-) When you're done you'll get to hook it up, stand back and feel proud though... so you've got that to look forward too!

Oh and by the way... while babysitting the feather duster I've decided I'll never get one in this tank. I didn't realize just how violent my mp10 moved the water until I put this guy in there. Goodness I felt sorry for him. I turned it down for the rest of the day. :-) It's doing very well.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sat 03 Mar 2012, 2:25 am

I love your optimism. I am thinking I'll connect the pump to the tube, plug in, and put Beach Boys "Everybody's Surfing now" on the CD machine, and then flick the switch for the pump.

Hey dude, catch some waves!

I think Sean has megatron pumps, which would be pinning everything to the glass.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by grawlfang Sat 03 Mar 2012, 10:30 am

Nono, you need to put on the beach boys Surfin Safari or 409 to get everything in the mood and moving Smile

Matt I'll take your feather duster if you have to much water movement Smile
grawlfang
grawlfang

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

Haha. It's not mine. Ian couldn't pickup yesterday so he had to chill in my tank yesterday. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Sorry Kevin, that Dusters coming to Tyler today..... to learn to surf!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:48 am

Got the Duster today, it's sweet, and compared to my other one, small. But I do like the purple and white.

Also got an Aqueon 2500 pump at Petco. As kevin said, out with the 409!
I calculate that I'm getting about 280 GPH circulation with a 4ft head of water.
Allowing for the fact that the tank is probably close to 30G and I think with my wall I can say that there's about 20G of water in the tank, then the sump is holding 6-8 Gallons of water, so I'm putting 10 times per hour through the sump. My powerheads are easily moving over 1,000 GPH in the tank, although only one is directed to create surface water movement.
Man that is moving some water, and finally I have yellow foam coming into the cup again in my skimmer with the increased flow.
Down side is that my overflow is much louder, so I need to explore various, more open pore, filters. To try and dampen the noise.
Also I am now getting a build up of air in the down pipe that's going into the skimmer compartment of the sump. I'm thinking that I may drill a small hole in the down pipe to allow the air out, as every few minutes I'm hearing a loud BLUUUURP.

As for an update on life in the tank.
The beautiful Duncan now has a definite 6 heads visible, plus whats hidden on the "intank" side.
My GHM has finally grown so large that it has split, I saw the last vestiges, a thread about 1mm connecting them. Now to work out how to get the creeping off shoot to take to another rock.
And finally, Thor has just about gained a 4th head, with one growing and becoming 2.

The sump.
Other than the Alchemy which is Skimmer tuning. I have noticed that my Cheato, although still very green, has reduced in volume.
If it had started to pale, I would have said the LED Worklight wasn't giving enough light of the correct bandwidth. However that which I have looks healthy, so is this a good indicator?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

I don't know anything about chaeto that doesn't grow, but if you weren't getting enough flow for theskimmer the chaeto may have been effected also. My chaeto gets pale closest to the light.

Flow sounds good!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:59 pm

From too little to too much.
This pump is awesome, too darned awesome.
We were busy outside today, so I checked the tank a little later, air bubble galore!

The pump had the water in the return section so low.
I now have a couple of grips on the return pipe to reduce the outflow. Does anyone have a long term solution? Other than a different pump?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Sun 04 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

I've used a ball valve on my return for similar issues. Would that work for you?
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

I think you may be right, it survived over night with steady water level in the sump, and I'll get one for the in line, today hopefully.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6