Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting! Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2014  gallon  ORDER  2011  DUAL  2012  

Similar topics

A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting!

3 posters

Go down

A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting! Empty A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting!

Post by DonnieP Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

I have often wondered about the connection between led lighting and the fact that I have never had any Cyano Bacteria in my led tank and I finally ran across an article that states this to be fact that the right spectrum leds will prevent Cyano in a reef tank. Below is a clip from that article and a link to the complete article.

Use of LED to prevent Red Slime
Another positive attribute of LED Aquarium lights as per a recent study (August of 2009) is that when HO LED Lights are used in marine aquariums that suffer with Marine Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria) , these can immediately eradicate Red Slime algae when used in a full spectrum lighting configuration. These “immediate” results were just two weeks all the while other lighting configurations (such as switching to 6400 K CFL from 10,000K CFL) show slight improvement, the LED lights showed much more dramatic results. I do not know (as of this update) the exact reasons, but my suspicions is that CFL (including VHO & SHO) still produce more of the yellow/green nanometer range of light which encourages Cyanobacteria and discourages more discourage competing green algae.

Led Aquarium Lights And Lighting
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting! Empty Re: A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting!

Post by Yeti Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:13 am

Donnie, thanks for that article, it really explained a lot about LED's and especially why you can find them for $30 or $200.

I'm determined to set the Vader tank up with LED's, and have looked and looked, but shied away from leaping due to not feeling I knew enough about what I would be spending my money on. However, I think I may have found it, if the spread will be suitable.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html

The AquaBeam 600 Reef White as I understand it will give me both day and night lighting.
The tank is 30 Lx 11-15(the max bow)D and 20 H, so as long as I don't try to get anything to live on the bottom that need high light, I think I should be OK. I'm leaning heavily towards softies (and clams of course).
If I plan on having the live rock as a central island, do you think these would be suitable?
Also will I have to buy a controller, or will I be able to just use daylight for say 18 hours and then blue for 8 hours?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting! Empty Re: A note about Cyano Bacteria and lighting!

Post by DonnieP Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

Yeti
I'm not impressed by these leds, for one there is just not enough leds there to light a reef tank IMO, we with leds know it takes more led than in those strips to get a good spread on the lighting. First thing to consider is are you going to use a closed hood system or are you going to hang the lights above an open top tank and how far above can you hang them? I personally don't like the light hanging above the tank (just a personal thing) I don't like lighting the entire room so I like my lights enclosed in a hood sitting on the tank where all the light is directed into the tank and not on my walls. Hanging leds are also not cool for kids and Grandkids to be looking at, they can mess up your eyes. Most leds are directional without much light spread so you have to be careful to not make the tank look like you have individual light beams shinning through the water with dead spots. If you look at the leds like most led users on here use the leds are placed very close together in all directions to get a good spread on the light, they are also about a 50-50 mix of white and blue. These lights work pretty well if you want the leds hung above the tank, the higher they hang, the better the spread on light. It all goes back to hanging them or in canopy.

I will tell you straight up if you want the leds in an enclosed canopy the best thing is to build your own, its not that complicated and the cost is very reasonable and you can put a mixture of whatever you want in them, even UV which if turned on at night by themselves is mind blowing. The lights you mention above may work for you, I have not seen them in use but me personally, I would have to personally see them in action before buying them. Let us know which way you want to use the lights, hanging or canopy.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Also... even though people talk about better leds having less spectrum to grow nuisance algae, they still have enough of that spectrum. With that much light, even if only 2% of their light is in that spectrum it is enough. The thing to keep track of to control algae is nutrients. If nutrients spike in an LED setup that has full spectrum (bad for algae) lighting, algae will grow. If nutrients spike in a system with expensive partial spectrum LEDs you will have an algae outbreak. Algae is much less picky than the led makers like to act!

Also, you can install a fixture like me and several others have in an enclosed canopy. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

Also, you can install a fixture like me and several others have in an enclosed canopy. :-)

True but as you know the closer the light is to the water the narrower the light band in the tank, in a hood sitting right on the tank and the type light you use you would have but the lights together end to end to get a full tank coverage on the light. The higher those lights are raised the better the coverage, closer to the water and they spotlight, correct me if I'm wrong.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

These leds have no lenses on them so they have a huge light spread. You won't get individual rays, but the edges of the tank may be darker. Some consider that a good thing because less algae grows on the glass. The canopy would have to be a little taller, or like i am considering the canopy could be open top.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down