Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
shrimp - Shrimp breeding? Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2011  2014  ORDER  gallon  DUAL  2012  

Shrimp breeding?

4 posters

:: Breeding

Go down

shrimp - Shrimp breeding? Empty Shrimp breeding?

Post by Kinjorski Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

I have this horribly wonderful idea (or maybe just horrible), which is to start a shrimp tank! However, not satisfied with a puny 10 gallon shrimp tank, I have this 40 gallon long laying around, which was donated because it wasn't holding water. I think I may cut it up into a few 15g (or so) rimless cubes and take up shrimp breeding for the heck of it. . . thinking red cherries at first because of their ease of breeding, and a LFS said they would buy them from me for in store credit. I know I know, inverts need PERFECT water quality (which is why I'll fill it with distilled water, b/c for 18 cents a gallon, its cheaper than R/O). But I have conflicting reports of the size of tank required to get these little guys to make babies like mad, and I even heard some tannins in the tank helps. . . .anyways, plan was, some flame moss, some java fern, couple pieces of driftwood, anubias nana maybe, some pieces of pvc pipe burried in the substrate for hiding/molting. . . .should be busy enough and provide plenty of hiding place for the itty bitty baby shrimps. I might even just re-assemble the 40g long and use it, should house about 120 of them comfortably I would think. Anyone have any advice/experience? Oh, dedicated shrimp tank, no other fish, don't want them eating the little ones.
Kinjorski
Kinjorski
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

shrimp - Shrimp breeding? Empty Re: Shrimp breeding?

Post by DonnieP Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

Only problem I see is filtering without having all the babies get filtered out. The reason I say this is because my Peppermint shrimp have babies about every two weeks and when the female releases them she lets them go in the current and if I don't turn my pumps off they will all go over the overflow. These babies are attracted to light and with the pumps off will gather at the surface under the night lights because they always release at night. My babies always just serve as free fish food but I don't see how you are going to filter the water real well and not loose babies in the process, its something to keep in mind because all baby shrimp will go to the surface. Pepermints are easy to breed. Below is a video of my tank after release.

Here's a video
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinjorski Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

From what I've read, baby cherry shrimp go straight to scavenging, they are born without a yolk, so they should stay near the bottom. However, I was thinking just some DIY sponge filters because its gonna be shrimp only, and they produce very little waste. Sponge filters pose no threat to baby shrimps, and outside of an air pump to power them, I could make them for about. . .2 dollars a piece, and they actually DO serve as great biological filtration, just not mechanical. The plants will help as well.

Or at minimum, a good sponge prefilter that should prevent most filtration fatalities.

Last edited by Kinjorski on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Kinjorski
Kinjorski
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

Like the sponge filter idea but I'd use the largest possible. You can make a divider out of the plastic sheets sold in hobby /craft stores . They have holes just big enough for small fry to pass through. Put a light on the opposite end from the adults and the young ones should migrate to that side of the tank.

Donnie, I remember reading an article about using a small overflow - type box with a moon light over it to capture shrimp fry after dark. Might want to do a search if you plan on raising any. Think it was on The Reef Tank.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

Another idea is a Mattenfilter, swisstropicals.com sells the poret material, and I would think this may give you both the water flow required due to the large surface area, for very clean water. Plus at the same time minimise fatalities due to filter loss of the young.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/blogs/2010/12/08/mattenfilters/
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinjorski Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:36 am

hmm, mattenfilter is a pretty good idea. I might give that a shot. I appreciate that, and the lights on one side of the tank is something I didn't think of either, appreciate that as well.
Kinjorski
Kinjorski
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:10 pm

Yeti wrote:Another idea is a Mattenfilter, swisstropicals.com sells the poret material, and I would think this may give you both the water flow required due to the large surface area, for very clean water. Plus at the same time minimise fatalities due to filter loss of the young.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/blogs/2010/12/08/mattenfilters/

A little live rock / chaeto and you could probably raise a ton of pods in there . Wonder if anyone's done research on mandarin / dwarf seahorse applications .
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Breeding

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum