Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
 This is the thread that never ends........ Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2014  2012  2011  ORDER  gallon  DUAL  

This is the thread that never ends........

4 posters

Go down

This is the thread that never ends........ Empty This is the thread that never ends........

Post by Siberman Sun 01 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

Y'all ready ? Rolling Eyes

Tank dimensions: 60" long x 24" high x 13" wide. 77 gallon Oceanic "display" with a 10" wide center brace .

The convicts are no longer breeding so they're ready for the trotline (j/k).

Let the questions begin.

1) Can I use a Rubbermaid trash can as a sump ?

2) Is masonry sand ok in a reef tank ? This tank is roughly 21 years old and has been through several incarnations. The 6" sand bed ( which I plan on reducing to about 1" ) is composed of roughly 4" of masonry sand and 1" each of aragonite and crushed coral.

3) Any opinions on "tufa" rock ? I've got about 30 pounds.

4) Might be a dumb question but what about petrified wood ? I have several really nice long and flat pieces .

5) Not sure about lighting . I recently acquired a WavePoint T5 ( 4 bulbs ) for the 20-high and I must say I'm impressed. The only drawback is that there's no seperate controls for blues and whites. Evil or Very Mad I'm torn between T5s and LEDs. Due to the 13" width of the tank , I'm not sure if I can get enough T5s in the hood to grow everything I may want to try at a later date ( such as clams or sps ). Suggestions ?

Here's my premise : I plan on starting the tank as FW with "dead" rock and some mollies. I will gradually raise the salinity until it's ready for the addition of live rock . Hopefully this will ensure a viable population of marine mollies that will control any undesireable algae or invertebrate pests prior to the introduction of frags. I will then stock the tank with LPS and softies from the 20.

Please advise.

Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

This is the thread that never ends........ Empty Re: This is the thread that never ends........

Post by Grimreefer Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

Siber,
Just wanna start off by saying, Hope your holidays were fabulous. As far as a rubber maid tote as a sump, I have seine this done on several set ups so I would assume it is perfectly ok. Not sure about the masonary sand. Myself I like a clean or bare bottom or LIGHT sand covering. Sand hold to much muck IMO. The petrified wood leeches from what I understand. As far as lighting I would say go with LEDs or MHs since I have 2 250w MHs I am willing to part with. ; )

Really like the Molly concept. Tried it a while back but they only lasted a about 6 to 7 months. I think I am gonna give it another shot real soon though.

Keep us posted on this..

Grimreefer

Back to top Go down

This is the thread that never ends........ Empty Re: This is the thread that never ends........

Post by Siberman Mon 02 Jan 2012, 6:24 pm

The holidays were great , Tony. Hope y'all's were as well. Very Happy

I'll be reducing the sand bed to about 1" as I'm very familiar with the faults of a dsb BUT I do love all the critters found in there.

Masonry sand can contain silicates but this sand (as well as the petrified wood) has been in the tank for approximately ten years. The water was on the acidic side for a couple of years so I'm thinking any harmful substances will have leached out by now. No big deal on the wood . It'll look good in the pond's waterfall. Wink

Don't really want to go with MH, sorry. The tank is 13" wide so I think they'd be overkill. That, and my house ( 1960) is wired with two-prong outlets . I had an electric smoker melt an adapter / extension cord this summer so I'd feel safer with something that uses less amps. LEDs may be my only option.

Matt, are you paying attention ? Smile

From what I've read, mollies and guppies acclimated to full marine don't usually survive as long as the following generations that are born in salt water. I'm hoping that gradually increasing the salinity will produce a sustainable population . I'll probably be using the smaller black mollies as I believe the larger sailfins would prove to be too competative with any smaller marine species introduced at a later time.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Mon 02 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

I'm always paying attention! :-)

Let me know what you're looking at. I'll check into them for ya.

If you wanna know what to check into look at a 60-72 led kit from rapidled or steves leds.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Tue 03 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

matt_longview wrote:I'm always paying attention! :-)

Let me know what you're looking at. I'll check into them for ya.

If you wanna know what to check into look at a 60-72 led kit from rapidled or steves leds.

The 70 LED at Steve's = 680 watts of MH. That might be a bit much as I don't plan on a lot of SPS ( yeah, right Rolling Eyes ) . My main concern is the center brace made of the same glass as the rest of the tank. It's been a real light-killer with flourescents so I'm not sure of putting 60" (or even 48") fixtures over the tank. I'm considering using a + or - 24" at either end then leaving the middle as an open area for swimming space.

I can tell right now I'm going to need to attend a "workshop" meeting. Twisted Evil I'm one of those who can't just read the directions and put something together. I need to get my hands dirty before it dawns on me.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

I'll probably be going with (6) t5s . My home-made canopy will hold them roughly 8" above the water but I can adjust if necessary.

What would y'all use as a tank cover (glass or eggcrate ) ? My fish list includes clown gobies , firefish, clowns , etc. Probably won't be adding any kind of eel as the one experience I had with a fw eel and my bare feet on a dark night was enough for me. Shocked
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sun 05 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

What would y'all use as a tank cover (glass or eggcrate ) ?
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Can't remember where I saw it but there is a netting you could also use. The holes were smaller than egg crate but thinner to not block as much light.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 05 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

Clear netting would get my #1 vote as well, but eggcrate would go before glass. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimreefer Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

I wouldn't use any type cover unless I had something that could escape. I like an open top for a better oxygen exchange and light penetration.

Grimreefer

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:03 pm

Found it.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Mon 06 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

ritter678 wrote:Found it.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html

Thanks! Very Happy
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum