Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Frag Tank Idea Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  2012  2011  2014  gallon  ORDER  

Frag Tank Idea

+2
ritter678
matt_longview
6 posters

Go down

Frag Tank Idea Empty Frag Tank Idea

Post by matt_longview Thu 10 Feb 2011, 12:56 pm

This has likely been done already, but I guess I'm wondering why it isn't done much more often. Rather than setting up an entire setup for a frag tank, why don't people do a simple refugium type setup off of their sump?

Pump water up from their return area of their sump into a simple 10g, setup an overflow to drain right back into the sump on the other side. Throw a good light over the top and you're good to go.

Is that pretty common? I had this idea when I was dreaming about my next tank and wondered if everyone was already doing it this way. lol
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Frag Tank Idea Empty Re: Frag Tank Idea

Post by ritter678 Thu 10 Feb 2011, 1:09 pm

I had a frag rack in my sump for a long time. I just took it out when I removed all my soft corals and got the big skimmer. I only had soft corals down there though because I didn't have a good enough light for sps.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Thu 10 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

matt_longview wrote:This has likely been done already, but I guess I'm wondering why it isn't done much more often. Rather than setting up an entire setup for a frag tank, why don't people do a simple refugium type setup off of their sump?

Pump water up from their return area of their sump into a simple 10g, setup an overflow to drain right back into the sump on the other side. Throw a good light over the top and you're good to go.

Is that pretty common? I had this idea when I was dreaming about my next tank and wondered if everyone was already doing it this way. lol

I am actually in the planning stages of that exact setup. 40 breeder as sump/fuge/mini frag tank. Will post the build when it starts. I guess great minds really do think alike. Razz
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 10 Feb 2011, 5:01 pm

I was wanting a frag tank... but then I thought... why get all of the filters and skimmers and all that junk... why not just hook it into my system? All I have to do is get a T5 fixture that will fit a small tank (10g or less?) and I could put SPS on high racks and others on low racks or bare bottom. Super simple and cheap setup.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuma Thu 10 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm

Was reading a thread yesterday about a guy that did just that.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=25991

A description of what his plans are is on page 7..."The plan will call for the return pump to the 200 gal tank provides water to the frag tank with its drain going back to the sump. There should be no problem with the sump flooding when there is a power failure. "

He actually gets it all put together on page 10. Anyway...just a little something to show that it has been done, and certainly in his case seems to work very well.

Also, that thread has a couple of amazing stories of how he has overcame a nasty algae issue and a real bad outbreak of flatworm that nearly wiped out his whole tank when he treated them and they all died at once. Interesting read if nothing else, and has some amazing pictures and documentation of his coral growth, builds, etc.

Yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBlue Thu 10 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

My plan for the 72 Bow Front:

Small frag tank on a drawer type shelf with flexible hose. This will allow me to pull it out and get to the frags. The light will be attached above the tank and will not slide out with the drawer. The flow will come from the overflow and then through the frag tank and then into the sump below it. No extra power head. Not much light will be needed since the tank will be custom built and just shallow enough for decent size gowth on a frag plug.
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 10 Feb 2011, 5:51 pm

BigBlue wrote:My plan for the 72 Bow Front:

Small frag tank on a drawer type shelf with flexible hose. This will allow me to pull it out and get to the frags. The light will be attached above the tank and will not slide out with the drawer. The flow will come from the overflow and then through the frag tank and then into the sump below it. No extra power head. Not much light will be needed since the tank will be custom built and just shallow enough for decent size gowth on a frag plug.

+1

So you actually won't pull water from the sump. Water will overflow from the tank, gravity drain into the frag tank, which will overflow and gravity drain into the sump.

Very nice. Easier than mine. :-)

This is why I post these things.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBlue Thu 10 Feb 2011, 5:54 pm

That's the plan for my reactors as soon as I get time to get under my 125G. I knew to put a couple of extra T's in when I built it. **Kicking myself right now** Extra pumps just mean extra trouble and extra heat.
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuma Thu 10 Feb 2011, 6:09 pm

Works the same way, except won't the water that is going into your frag tank be the scum off the top of your display tank that's falling over the overflow?

Difference with this design is that all you change from current setup is to add a "T" from your output to the display tank and run one to frag tank.....put a ball valve in and you could shut it off before pulling the tray out. Then it's clean fresh water to the frag tank, no extra pump needed.

Just a thought....

edited for clarity

Yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBlue Thu 10 Feb 2011, 11:16 pm

The scum only settles in the sump when you slow the flow down. The flow would be enough to keep the scum from settling in the frag tank. All of the scum settles in the return part of my sump where the flow is really slow. I'm sure most corals would not mind a good snack every now and then either.

I have thought both ways on the reactor though. Mine currently picks up a good amount of scum with the pump close to the return pumps. However, it gets cleaned frequently so maybe it would not matter. I have also seen others do it either way. Some claim that the scum will stay in the high flow pipe instead of flowing to the slower flow reactor pipe. Who knows!? Only one way to find out though.
BigBlue
BigBlue

Back to top Go down

Frag Tank Idea Empty farg tank built into sump/refugium - great design

Post by TWBriz Mon 21 Feb 2011, 5:43 pm

Found this while searching a similar idea - http://www.melevsreef.com/dfwmas/plin/115g_sump.html

Still think I'll end up getting a shallow 30-60 gal frag tank maybe 10-12 in tall. Glasscages.com has a few for some pretty great prices, the only thing is that you would have to wait until one of their conventions go through dallas or houston to pick it up because they do not ship most of their equipment.
TWBriz
TWBriz
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down