Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Need help starting a small neon tank Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  2011  ORDER  gallon  2012  2014  

Need help starting a small neon tank

+4
onegoodie
Yeti
DonnieP
dwhintson
8 posters

Go down

Need help starting a small neon tank Empty Need help starting a small neon tank

Post by dwhintson Sun 13 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

Hi this is Dusty's daughter Misti. Mom has told me we can set up a small neon fish tank in my room. She told me I have to get the info on my own and she help put it up. I wnt 6-7 fishes io the tank. Can i get a 10 or 20 galon? and mom says any other info I can get will help in long run. confused So please please give me any info you can so I can have my own tank. Very Happy
dwhintson
dwhintson
Percula

Back to top Go down

Need help starting a small neon tank Empty Re: Need help starting a small neon tank

Post by DonnieP Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:50 pm

Misti
Bigger tank is always better, more room to put more fish:>) seriously, it depends on where you have to put it! If you have plenty of room for a twenty go for it. If you are refering to neon Tetra's they are not to demanding, for 6-7 fish a ten is plenty big but you may want to add more and bigger fish later. There's not much difference in the cost between running a ten and a twenty.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Need help starting a small neon tank Empty Re: Need help starting a small neon tank

Post by dwhintson Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:01 pm

I saw a pictre on here that had neon tetras in it with a neon light that makes everything look lik its glowing. the internt called it a black light can i leave that on all the time or do i have to put a daylight on to? Mom said i could have up to a 20 g but i want it to be all neons so it will match my room.
dwhintson
dwhintson
Percula

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

Misti
You may also be wanting some type of bottom feeder/scavenger to get the bits of food that the neons miss, and certainly an algae eater wouldn't be amiss in the tank, to help keep it clean. I think over here they call them chinese loaches (you will see them sticking to the side of the tank), they cost about $1-2.
If you go for a Plecostomus be very careful, some of them grow BIIIIIG. On the other hand "Mum, my tank isn't big enough for my fish" is a good way of getting an even bigger tank in about a years time....but I didn't tell you that.
Ohh if you are talking about the Neon Glo fish, then be careful, a friend of mine had a small tank with 5 fish, and non of them lived very long.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:28 pm

Misti
Clear this up for us, are you talking neon tetras or glofish, there's a big difference. If you are talking glofish, There were several of these in the tank I gave my Son and never lost a one of them, These were about the hardiest fish I have ever seen, they never had babies but were all adult about 1-1/2" long and really pretty. I don't think you could use the black light exclusively, I think you would have to have a daylight bulb to meet the needs of the fish and maybe use the blacklight for your viewing pleasure for only a couple of hours at night. The fish need a regular light for thier body to function correctly just like you do. There's a big difference in Neon Tetras and Glofish, clear this up for us.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 13 Feb 2011, 2:32 pm

I just noticed J. Davis is selling a 20G Eclipse for only $40 in his list of closet clear-out, this would make a great starter tank, and is an excellent price. (Time to tug mum's sleeve...saying things like "mum it's only $40, and in the store they are over $100... follow this link as proof
http://www.petco.com/product/11538/SeaClear-Eclipse-2-Compatible-20-Gallon-Aquariums.aspx

or you may have a tank already.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:27 pm

Yeti wrote:I just noticed J. Davis is selling a 20G Eclipse for only $40 in his list of closet clear-out, this would make a great starter tank, and is an excellent price. (Time to tug mum's sleeve...saying things like "mum it's only $40, and in the store they are over $100... follow this link as proof
http://www.petco.com/product/11538/SeaClear-Eclipse-2-Compatible-20-Gallon-Aquariums.aspx

or you may have a tank already.

Wow, yes, tell Mom about that 20g Eclipse, great price there. Better jump on it quick.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by dwhintson Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:38 pm

Mom just noticed the post. I told her to research this and figure out what she needed. She obviously has watched and learned very well when it comes to jumping on the forum and asking for help. I will call Jason and as if it is still available. Thank you all for helping Misti. I sure she will have more questions to ask soon.
dwhintson
dwhintson
Percula

Back to top Go down

Post by onegoodie Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:30 pm

Definitely go with the bigger tank. If mom is allowing a 20, go with that over a 10. Larger tanks are actually less effort to keep stable than small tanks. Little 5 and 10 gallon tanks can be influenced quite a bit by changes in sunlight or temperature.
Optimum would be to place the tank away from direct sunlight, on an interior wall if possible. You need to consider a heater as well. Filter options typical on smaller tanks like that are hang on back type, undergravel, or in-tank units. No need to get to fancy there unless you start looking at stocking the tank with a bunch of fish. Also, whatever lighting you go with; get a timer and set it to run for ~6hrs per day when you are going to be around. No need to leave it on all the time to grow green stuff...
Regarding fish, the "neon" sold in many stores are one of the following:
Paracheirodon innesi - neon (red and blue with red stripe along 1/2 of body)
Paracheirodon axelrodi - cardinal neon (red and blue with both stripes running full length of body)
Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi - black neon (greenish yellow and black stripes)
If you search under the scientific names you can find quite a bit of info and some pictures. Short version is that they all prefer soft water, pH of ~6, and temps around 75. The cardinal can get up to 2", the others 1.5". They work best in groups of 10 or more, and look nice that way too!
onegoodie
onegoodie
Yellow Tang
Yellow Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:45 pm

Good Luck on your new tank Misti! We'll need some pics when you get'er going! Smile
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dwhintson Mon 14 Feb 2011, 2:13 am

Well Misti now has a tank (she bought Jason's). So we will start putting things together tomorrow after school. Pics coming soon!
dwhintson
dwhintson
Percula

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Mon 14 Feb 2011, 8:16 am

Very cool Misti!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 14 Feb 2011, 8:44 am

Misti
I'm glad you got that tank, and I hope you enjoy building your tank.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Mon 14 Feb 2011, 9:50 am

Congrats on the tank Misti! You made a good choice, will be watching for pics.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Mon 14 Feb 2011, 2:01 pm

ive tried to keep neon tetras and cardinal tetras for years... it seems every time i buy them they all die. like one will get sick and the rest will all crash shortly later. its called neon tetra disease. ever heard of it? its pretty sad really... ive bought atleast 100 of them over the years and had very little luck with them! they need pristine water conditions. but OH how i love the look of a school of cardinals in a planted tank!

Need help starting a small neon tank Cardinal_tetra
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by onegoodie Mon 14 Feb 2011, 7:23 pm

Agree...they do need very good water. Pretty soft and lower pH than most keep their tanks. I used to have pretty good luck with them. Only major issue was an occasional tank mate who got a little too large or aggressive for them. Actually had an angel that I had got pretty large and would pick one off every couple nights.
onegoodie
onegoodie
Yellow Tang
Yellow Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Mon 14 Feb 2011, 9:02 pm

Hey, Misti. Very Happy

Neon tetras are from the Amazon basin and like soft / acidic water. Do a Google on their requirements. Don't put anything larger in the tank other than algae eaters like snails or plecostomus ( otos are another option but you need a bit more experience before keeping them) . Neons are so small that they become food for larger fish.

I would stay away from the "Chinese Algae Eaters" for now since they can get large and aggressive.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 15 Feb 2011, 2:48 am

Hi Misti
The algae eaters I'm thinking of is called a sucking loach in the UK, and generally is big if it gets to 3 1/2 inches. I've had them in all my community tanks since I was a teenager, but if we are talking about the same thing I know they can get bigger but I've never had a problem with one. Well other than the one that committed suicide by leaping out of the tank and then flopping about 4 Ft. Ending it's days under my bedroom dresser.
However I do recall a neighbour having issues with one that would head butt his Red Finned Black Shark.
The Plecostomus is good, but this where you start your researching and learning Misti, so you know which type to buy.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Tue 15 Feb 2011, 6:36 pm

I believe you're right , Yeti. I had one that terrorized angels and smaller live-bearers. Not to say that they're bad as a species but there's one in every crowd. Laughing

Btw, Misti, if you get a plecostamus be prepared to exchange it or move it to a bigger tank in a few years. The "sail fin" variety commonly sold in stores can get pretty large. Wink
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum