Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2014  gallon  2011  DUAL  ORDER  2012  

Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums

5 posters

Go down

Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums Empty Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums

Post by J.Davis Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/72205-gfo-relation-phosphates.html

I've been a member of Reef Sanctuary since 03/09... and this thread is why my post count there is so low. I'll be banned soon. Staff Members may not like me. I do like the RSM club there, nice people always willing to help.
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums Empty Re: Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums

Post by matt_longview Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Lol. Changed your mind huh? Hahaha
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums Empty Re: Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums

Post by J.Davis Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

I edited my post there...
I love how some (Staff) will be so critical, yet offer very little (if any)constructive advice.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

And my question is, why didn't you post here for help with the gha??? huh huh? No
No seriously, I have ran into the same type stuff on the big forums, too many big heads that ramble on about nothing and always talk around the problem instead of hitting it dead on. I do have one question for ya though to mull around a bit, do you have any man made rock in the tank? Not that I can pinpoint any connection between the two for absolutely sure but it might be something to think about if you do. Simply because you have had reefs in the past without this problem right, so go back and see what you did this time that you didn't do on the others (I bet you added man made concrete rock). I'm not a big fan of the response that undetectable amounts of po4 cause these gha outbreaks.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

I did have some in the sump, but have pulled it all out. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the Dry Pukani... but not sure. Only time will tell on that. I've had HA before, but more as part of cycling. Not showing up 8 months down the road. My RO/DI system got severally taxed when starting up the shop, TDS got a little out of hand. But even with that, my RedSea Max has "NEVER" shown any ill effects. Same water though?? Both systems are very different though.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 15 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

Well, the reason I ask is because I have read in many forums of people having unexplained gha outbreaks and no reason why but if I look at the rock they used, usually there was some man made rock in a lot of the tanks. I've never seen where anyone said yes the concrete rock caused gha but just putting two and two together you know. I will tell ya though if you want to get rid of it, put you a few Mexican Turbos in there, gotta be Mexican, they love the stuff!
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Thu 15 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

My Mexican Turbos died eating it. It's not your typical blue/green HA. Alot finer and fern like.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

OH no, Bryopsis! You know you can get rid of this crap by raising your Magnesium levels up to around 1600 for a while. You hit the nail on the head when you said fern like cause thats what it looks like. There is an excellent article out there on getting rid of it with Magnesium, I will look it up for you but right now I gotta do the walk thing with the Wife, I will find it and post a link in a bit.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

I just had a thought. I don't know if this will work or not but maybe you could try. Take a bucket of fresh salt mix, test for phosphates, take out a big chunk of pukani rock from the tank and put it in the bucket, let it sit for a while (a day?) and test for phosphates again. If there is phosphate in the water then it's coming from the rock. If the water tests 0 phosphates still then I would think something else is going on but if there's no algae growth to absorb the phosphates then the rock should leach phosphates back into the water so you should get some reading with the Hanna Checker.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

That sounds like a good plan Gabe, should show if the rock is putting off phosphate! Here is the link to the forum with info on using Magnesium to get rid of the Bryopsis! Keep us posted Jason.

Killing Bryopsis with Magnesium!
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

Donnie- not for sure on the ID, really need to nail that down before any "real" treatment. Using the reef calculator.. we're talking massive amounts to treat a 250g system. Hope it doesn't come to that. I'll try to ID it over the weekend.

Gabe- We've discussed the dry pukani before, I may try it. I still find it hard to believe it would be leaching out phosphates after 8 months. I'll pull a piece out and give it a shot.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm

I would think probably Bryopsis Plumosa, here is a closeup pic.

Why I don't like the Mega Fish Forums Thumbn10
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuma Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Ok...dumb question. Has anyone else heard about Brute trash cans leaching phosphates?

Yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

No, but it is simple to find out, just put water in one or mix up your usual saltwater, check it for phosphate then wait a few days and check again.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Yuma wrote:Ok...dumb question. Has anyone else heard about Brute trash cans leaching phosphates?
I've heard it (read Frankie's post on my RS thread) but doubt that's a major contributor to P04. If for no other reason, half the Reefing World uses them. I've never seen a direct link between them and HA.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:52 am

DonnieP wrote:No, but it is simple to find out, just put water in one or mix up your usual saltwater, check it for phosphate then wait a few days and check again.

Done this test over a 3 day period with zero P04 as a result. I don't keep saltwater made up for more than 3 days at a time.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum