Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Late entry into the Nano competition!! Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  gallon  ORDER  2012  2011  2014  

Late entry into the Nano competition!!

5 posters

Go down

Late entry into the Nano competition!! Empty Late entry into the Nano competition!!

Post by Yeti Thu 22 Dec 2011, 4:53 am

OK so I've been keeping this marine tank a secret. Alas I realise that as it was actually established in July 2010, it will not qualify.

Details
Size of tank.... nano....very nano...think pico....think pico-pico.... think ... well you'll see when I post the pictures.

The tank was set up following a trip we made to Galveston. Mrs Y wanted to bring some sand back, so I filled a "Sand Optimised Dihydro-oxygen Accumulator", thus being able to safely transport both live sand and sea water with a natural pH.

Upon getting home I poured the contents of the Sand Optimised Dihydro-oxygen Accumulator (In technical terms this is often abbreviated to S.O.D.A. bottle) into the empty "tank", and pushed the lid down firmly (you know how it has those plastic ribbed seals, I didn't want the "natural ocean scent to escape").

Lighting, this has been set on a natural day light cycle. Using an "Solar Automatic Daily" adjustment for seasonal variations I have found the system to be consistently accurate in following the natural amount of daylight, lengthening during summer, and shortening during winter. Like the LED program tank controllers, I have also included the "Lightening storm" feature, at purely random times.
This "S.A.D. system" is probably the most economical system I've found in all my years of keeping fish.

Tank maintenance
This has to be one of the easiest tanks I have ever had. The clean up crew was included in the live sand, gratis. To our great surprise.
Unfortunately the lack of fans or cooling system may have resulted in the demise of the single shellfish during one of the longer natural day light cycles.
The tank has been regularly cleaned from the outside using a damp cloth, unfortunately I was unable to find a glass cleaner with the correct profile for the inside of the tank, however this has not been a problem, as the pictures I will soon post will show, Coraline has not been an issue.

Filtration. Non. I wasn't aware that a tank may need more than live sand, and as such no live rock was added.

Water changes have not been required. I have admired Donnie's tank for maintaining a closed system, however when it comes down to minimal water loss, I do believe my system has him beat.
Auto top off. I have to say that this system has be fantastic. As and when any evaporation occurred it automatically returned back into the tanks water due to the design of the tanks hood.

Live stock
I knew at the start of this project that the size of the tank would be unsuitable for any fish or inverts.

Corals
I didn't introduce any corals, the plan was to see what would naturally occur and grow based upon a sample of Galveston sand and Gulf seawater.

Results.
Amazing growth finally. As in many tanks of this size it takes a while to cycle, for several months we saw no developments, and by the winter months of 2010 we were very disappointed and considered that the project may be a failure. However the spring of 2011 saw our first bloom of colour, and now I think I can say that the tank shows the full signs of life. I realise by now that both Jaiden and Donnie maybe some what intimidated by our tank, as well they may be, but I acknowledge that I cannot be considered an official entry, as the tank was started before the competition commenced.

I will however post some pictures, to show you just how successful this has been.

Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Late entry into the Nano competition!! Empty Re: Late entry into the Nano competition!!

Post by shhh Thu 22 Dec 2011, 8:00 am

What?

Now your gonna make me wait for pics......... Bah Hum Bug!

lol
shhh
shhh

Back to top Go down

Late entry into the Nano competition!! Empty Re: Late entry into the Nano competition!!

Post by ritter678 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Did you bring home a soda bottle of sand and water from Galveston and put it in a tupperware dish outside? Very Happy

Worthless
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 26 Dec 2011, 8:00 am

The Tank. A Candle holder.

[img]Late entry into the Nano competition!! Pico1[/img]

Other images of amazing growth.....of a kind.

[img]Late entry into the Nano competition!! Pico3[/img]

[img]Late entry into the Nano competition!! Pico2[/img]

As you can see....competition winning research!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by grawlfang Mon 26 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

ROFL, yep that is some unidentified growth alright Question
grawlfang
grawlfang

Back to top Go down

Post by shhh Mon 26 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Late entry into the Nano competition!! 52tumblr_kts5hvEvN41qzxzwwo1_500
shhh
shhh

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 26 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm

I keep waiting for the cyan cycle to come and go.....then I can add fish and frags?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Tue 27 Dec 2011, 12:01 am

Why do I fear that this lives somewhere in that jar ??

Late entry into the Nano competition!! Swamp
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down