Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Need a little help with lighting Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2012  2011  DUAL  ORDER  gallon  2014  

Need a little help with lighting

5 posters

:: Lighting

Go down

Need a little help with lighting Empty Need a little help with lighting

Post by JamesB Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:35 pm

First off, let me start by stating what lighting I am running. I am using a T5HO 4 bulb fixture with 3 led moonlights. Two 39w 460 nm actinic and 2 39w 10k white. Will also state that my tank is 24" deep. Now from what I read I see that the actinics are what causes the photosynthesis of the coral and the 10k are for viewing purposes only. I am not concerned much about my coral, they seem to be doing very well and as much as I stare at the tank I can see them growing a bit. Now my questions are these and I know I am looking at totally different lighting systems but still it shouldn't be this drastic, or is it?

1. Some of my corals are not as bright and have lost a little color. (mainly seeing this in some of the Zoa's) Like I stated before I know all the coral that I have gotten from JD, Matt and Tony will look a little different because of lighting systems, but its pretty drastic. But only on some of the Zoa's and not all of them. Now with that being said, if I run the actinics and moonlights at the same time the colors pop like crazy. Unsure what to do about this if there is anything to do about this. New bulbs? The bulbs are only 2 months old, but they are crappy stock bulbs. New lighting system? I wouldn't want to totally change lighting systems since this system in only 2 months old, I will save that when I do an upgrade. Wink

2. I need some information on lighting cycles as well. I run 9 am to 9 pm actinics and 10 am to 5 pm the 10k's and from 8 pm to 1 am the moonlights. Do I need to do some changing? What are all you guys with T5's running as your light cycle and are you seeing improvements from what you were running the cycle at to the cycle you are on now? (if that makes sense) I am kind of wondering, concerned, that my 10k white cycle are stripping the color of the corals. Does anybody know if this is possible and could be the case? Also, should I be running a more "natural" lighting cycle? Say actinics on about 8 am to 6 pm and moonlights on about 8 pm to 4 or 5 am? Turn on the 10k's around 10 am to 3 or 4 pm?

My head hurts...... scratch
JamesB
JamesB
Cleaner Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Need a little help with lighting Empty Re: Need a little help with lighting

Post by Win Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

The colors from flourescence is pretty tame compared to the way those leds make them pop lol.... I'm like u lol mine are under power compacts and my zoes almost look $hitty compared to the colony they were cut from, and they are healthy and growing nicely, its all in the lighting lol... like purple deaths lookin more like brown frowns haha (i still love em just the same matt!)
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

You got that backwards. 10k are for growth and actinics are for viewing. Actinics don't contribute much to growth.

Look into ATI bulbs.

2 aqua blue specials and 2 blue plus

Or if you want more reds and pinks to pop do 2 aqua blue specials, one blue plus and a Fiji purple or purple plus bulb.

Those ATI bulbs are awesome for color and growth.

Or save the money on the bulbs and go led.

I run my blues for 12 hours and my whites for 10.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

Your head hurts huh? Hahaha.

When you say the corals you've gotten look different do you mean immediately when you put them in your tank they look different, or after being in the tank for a few weeks their colors are changing?

I'll also add that me, Gabe, Jason and Tony all have the exact same LED fixtures over our tanks. All three of us noticed that they made tanks look amazing and grew corals well... heck I'm thinking I might use them over my 227g also!

10k bulbs will help with growth also. They also contain some blue spectrum and red spectrum... coral chlorophyll grows at 460ish (blue) and 640ish (red) ... that 10k bulb will contain both.

Your timing is okay. I imagine if you switch bulbs like Gabe suggested you'll get some of those amazing colors.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesB Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:14 pm

Thanks guys.

Matt the zoa's take a few days to week or so to lighten up or lose color, but it's aggravating to say the least. The zoa's i got from you, the goblin fire have dulled and the mean greens are more of a minty green. They look good and seem to be doing good, no growth that I can tell but all polyps are opened up full. The eagle eye's and dragon's eye zoa's, got the dragon's from Tony, look really good and are holding a lot of their color. Think they are getting a little dull. Think I am nit picking, but I was concerned first that my lighting cycle was causing it. It doesn't make it better that it's the crappy @ss bulbs, but it's a relief I guess.

Gabe, thanks for the suggestion on bulbs. The 2 blue, purple, blue plus was what I was thinking about going with once I needed bulbs. Just seems I need bulbs a little quicker than I thought. I say that, I don't need bulbs, I don't like the colors the stock bulbs are producing.

Have I ever said, how much of I love/hate saltwater? It's like a bad B movie plot....you know no matter how hard you attempt to make it easy, it's always behind you laughing when you fail or right there no matter how hard you run it pops out and stabs you in the back. Curse word, curse word, I love reefing!!!!!!

How long have all you guys had your LEDs? Have you seen any change in lights dimming a little over time or are they just blindingly bright over the length of time you have had them? Any noticeable coral growth as soon as you put them up and have you noticed less coral growth as time goes on with the age of the lights?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I need to have my knowledge going if I am to take this change of lighting to the boss. Wink
JamesB
JamesB
Cleaner Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:50 pm

JamesB wrote:
The 2 blue, purple, blue plus was what I was thinking about going with once I needed bulbs. Just seems I need bulbs a little quicker than I thought. I say that, I don't need bulbs, I don't like the colors the stock bulbs are producing.

How long have all you guys had your LEDs? Have you seen any change in lights dimming a little over time or are they just blindingly bright over the length of time you have had them? Any noticeable coral growth as soon as you put them up and have you noticed less coral growth as time goes on with the age of the lights?

By the time you replace 4 t5 bulbs every 9 months to a year at $20+ a bulb you can buy a set of leds and they will pay for themselves in about 2-3 years if you go the cheaper led route. I figured by the time I replaced 2 MH bulbs every year at $60-$90 each the leds were worth the shot and it turns out sps grow better under the leds than the 150w halides and I'm getting great colors.

I've had my leds for one year this month. Using a lux meter I haven't had any loss in intensity over a years time. That being said, I'm sure this fixture will not last forever or even the 50,000+ hours they say the bulbs will last. If I can get 3-4 years out of them I will come out about the same as replacing my MH bulbs every year plus I'm happier with my growth and colors than with MH or t5.

ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

I've had mine for 16 months. Tip top shape. Love em! If you see tanks in my house on something other than leds call the cops!!!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by scubasteve92 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:09 pm

Just bought an AI Sol Super Blue! Dont have it over my tank yet, but I agree!! Ditch the t5s and go LED!!!! Twisted Evil

scubasteve92
Bangaai Cardinal
Bangaai Cardinal

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

Congrats! I'd love to see one of those in person... ;-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by scubasteve92 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:35 pm

Yeah, hopefully it is up by wednesday night. You can come by and check it out if you're willing to make the trip out to small town Big Sandy! lol

@ JamesB, with my 2x T5HO fixture over my 20g, i still had quite a bit of color, but this week I have been playing with the new fixture and it is a world of difference!! ALL my coral pop! I would check out Rapid LED, they have some nice DIY led builds at fairly low prices.

scubasteve92
Bangaai Cardinal
Bangaai Cardinal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down