Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
New From Longview! Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

ORDER  2012  2011  2014  DUAL  gallon  

New From Longview!

+5
Yuma
Grimreefer
matt_longview
ritter678
Tangs Rule
9 posters

:: Say Hello

Go down

New From Longview! Empty New From Longview!

Post by Tangs Rule Sat 20 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

Well - not so new, have been at reef tanks since 2001 - But am new to the forum. Met Jason at his place today, Plus a few other members. I was wondering how many reefers there were in the area, glad to be among others here!!

Current systems are: 475g glass DT, with 75g sump&30g fuge. Lighting is 3ea 250w HQI and 3 ea MH 400watt, ozone, dual skimmers, Neptune Apex controller - been running since March 2011. It's a combined reef tank, with 6 tangs, a navarchus angle, coral beauty angle, and a few smaller fishes. It'll be years before it's full of sps/lps - but it's comming toghether!

The other is a 90 wavefront that is used as an invert/coral qtine tank - and occasionally as a fish isolation tank.

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

New From Longview! Empty Re: New From Longview!

Post by ritter678 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 8:43 pm

Welcome! Glad you joined. I found your build thread on SWF. Very nice tank.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forums! It was very nice meeting you today. Can't wait to see more updates from you and your tanks. :-)

By the way... your "QT" is three times the size of my main tank! Hahahaha. I'll go big soon... :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

Thanks folks! I should have joined the forum a long time ago - but o-well. I need to get some newer pictures of it and post them. (lights out right now) Have added some dry rock and a few corals since my last posts on swf.com. Also trying to figure out the controller! lol it's a handfull. One day, it'll look like a million bucks, but only have 1/2 that invested!

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimreefer Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

Welcome Ken. It was nice meetin you too. Glad you was able to make the meeting. I havn't checked out your build thread yet but I am head over there now to give it a look.

Grimreefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuma Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

Ken, it was nice to meet you today. Welcome the forums. Thanks for sharing the information on your system with me today!

Yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:40 pm

Thank you all for the welcome!
Here is the Title for build thread on the 475 over at swf.com

"Bigger is better? Lets try 475 gallons...Tangs gonna be happy!"

I'll probably just kinda start a "current" thread on the 475 over here on this site, with the first post being a link to the swf build thread to date. Then post updates to both - lots of pictures too! Luckly, there is not alot of "work" left to do to it - just keep it healthy, and let it grow out.

There is another progress thread on the tank over there too titled "So far so good, 6 tangs, 2 angles, and some friends" this thread kinda deals with the livestock more than the whole system...

Oops - newbies cannot post links to other sites for 7 days or i'd postes the direct link.

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 21 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

I'll post the link for ya: http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy

Absolutely gorgeous tank! My 29g could fit inside your sump with room to spare. Lol. I love that naso. They are on my big tank list. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:09 am

Glad you stopped by Ken, that monster of a Marron Clown made her way into the 180 finally. Deffinately will be enjoying her Smile Stop by anytime.
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

matt_longview wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous tank! My 29g could fit inside your sump with room to spare. Lol. I love that naso. They are on my big tank list. :-)

O - thank you for posting the link. I re-read some of it last nite and realized just how much effort it was getting it set up. (and $$$$) I'm not sure I;d do it again - but am GLAD it's done !!

Thanks again for your help!
ken

grrr darn system wont let me even post a link in a Quote......surely a mod can fix this, and i'll not call him surely again.,

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

J.Davis wrote:Glad you stopped by Ken, that monster of a Marron Clown made her way into the 180 finally. Deffinately will be enjoying her Smile Stop by anytime.

She really isn't a bad fish - I just cannot keep multiple species of clown with her in same tank - and I really prefer the occelaris types - which she will attack on site.....She leaves the tangs/angles/butterflies/damsels/blennies/etc alone and does fine with them - it just the other species of clown that gets her PO'd.
Thanks for taking her Jason!

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:30 am

The no links for 7 days is annoying, but our forum has absolutely no spam posts. Thats really rare... once your 7 days are up you'll be good to go. If it's possible to shorten it, or remove it completely for a particular member I'm sure jose will help you out. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

Tangs Rule wrote:
J.Davis wrote:Glad you stopped by Ken, that monster of a Marron Clown made her way into the 180 finally. Deffinately will be enjoying her Smile Stop by anytime.

She really isn't a bad fish - I just cannot keep multiple species of clown with her in same tank - and I really prefer the occelaris types - which she will attack on site.....She leaves the tangs/angles/butterflies/damsels/blennies/etc alone and does fine with them - it just the other species of clown that gets her PO'd.
Thanks for taking her Jason!

Monster only referenced to size! She's absolutly beautiful... Had a real good day yesterday, you bringing her over was icing on the cake! She's quickly turning into one of my favorites. How old do you think she is?
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sun 21 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

I had her 8 years, and got her when just a baby - so she might be 9. Notice the gill plate spikes? something you'll rarely see on smaller maroon clowns - but hers are very long AND sharp - making it very hard sometimes to get her out of a net. AM glad you can provide a good home - I was kinda getting tired of her beating up my favorite clowns (ocellaris) - but she's fins with all other species of fish.

The elegance coral is doin great over in the 90 qtine tank - in 5-6 weeks it'll be over in the main. Thanks again, ken

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by JoseH Sun 21 Aug 2011, 5:05 pm

matt_longview wrote:The no links for 7 days is annoying, but our forum has absolutely no spam posts. Thats really rare... once your 7 days are up you'll be good to go. If it's possible to shorten it, or remove it completely for a particular member I'm sure jose will help you out. :-)

Done Smile
JoseH
JoseH
Admin
Admin

http://www.etakc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sun 21 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

Thank You Forum guru! cheers I'm FREEEE!!! {just kidding}

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by newb93 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

hey guys I'm pretty new to salt water reefs, hence "newb93" I have a 75 gallon tank thats been cycling for about five weeks, the tank is filled with live sand and live rock.... and I'm trying to decide weather to use a canister filter or a sump. Also I'm really interested in corrals, I've ben doing my research on beginner corals, and purchased a green leather corral, but unfortunately its not doing so well. but the frog spawn in doing great...... any pointers or advice on how to keep the corrals would be great, thanks!

newb93
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

newb93 wrote:hey guys I'm pretty new to salt water reefs, hence "newb93" I have a 75 gallon tank thats been cycling for about five weeks, the tank is filled with live sand and live rock.... and I'm trying to decide weather to use a canister filter or a sump. Also I'm really interested in corrals, I've ben doing my research on beginner corals, and purchased a green leather corral, but unfortunately its not doing so well. but the frog spawn in doing great...... any pointers or advice on how to keep the corrals would be great, thanks!

In order to help - what are your water parameters, like temp, sg, ph, ammonia, trites, trates? Also what else is in the tank like fish and snails, crabs, stars, (clean up crew things) (please list all these) 5 weeks since cycle is a bit early for corals - since the cycle is never "complete" but usually it takes a bit longer for a tank to be coral ready - unless shortcuts are used like lots of STABLE rock/substrate from an established reef tank.

IME some leather corals are rather sensitive to imperfect water, and I know that frogspawn (Euphyllia sp.) are more forgiving. Keeping corals comes down to light quality & intensity, good water, stable water parameters, proper placement in the tank (light & flow) and feeding.

Post your parameters and other stats, and I;ll try to help. Very Happy

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:12 pm

It's been a few days now Jason - how is that big girl doin? I did a waterchange on the 475 this morn, and expected to see her in the overflow - then remembered she's over there.....Not sorry to see her go - but am curious all the same, as I'd had her for a while..

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

She's doing great. Eating like a horse. Not picky at all, nothing seems to bother her.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangs Rule Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

J.Davis wrote:She's doing great. Eating like a horse. Not picky at all, nothing seems to bother her.

Yup - that's her! as long as there are no other species of clownfishes present - she's a total dream....I've never tried to "mate" her with a smaller marron male and do not know how that would play out - but as far as other species of clown in the same tank - forget it.....she's got the body mass and aggression to make any other clown leap out of the tank for it's life. It'd be interesting to see if she'd accept a male....BTW - she will immediatly host in a bubble tip anemone. Not a long tip, condy, carpet or other - but a bubble tip will host her within minutes. And she'll feed it too.
ken

Tangs Rule
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

I may try another Gold Sripped Marroon... He's about 3". Who knows?
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

Welcome aboard Ken, thats a fine looking tank you have there! An impressive population too.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down