Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

ORDER  gallon  DUAL  2012  2011  2014  

Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review

+2
matt_longview
Mcreefer
6 posters

:: Say Hello

Go down

Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review Empty Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review

Post by Mcreefer Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

Hi All,

Just moved back to Athens, Tx after being in CA for 5 years. I got into reefing once I was out there and was had 4 tanks going when it was time to come back home. Knowing that I would lose a lot of stock moving it from CA to hear and that I would need chillers, I sold everything off before I left. It was really hard letting it go but I wound up giving most of it away since it wasn't about money to me. I made it 4 weeks after moving back before I made a saltwater tank fit in out monthly budget. I know I shouldn't have but what can I say, its what keeps me sane. I went from having close to 300 gallons in all to having 6.... Yeah BIG change. I bought a 6G fluval edge at Petco in longview for 75.00. Great price on them and they still have some left. I picked up some live sand and reef crystals (prefer tropic marine pro reef) and had the thing cycling 2 weeks ago. I was going to go to petsmart in tyler to pick up some LR and starter fish today but decided to call this place called "lone start aquariums". This will now lead into my review.

In Santa Barbara I had 2 GREAT LFS with knowledgeable staff and all the leading edge products on the shelf. Anytime I needed anything it was a quick 5 min drive. Be it salt of a wide range, fish or corals. So yeah I am a little reef spoiled and a bit of a product snob. When I picked up the 6g in longview I went by the LFS there called "something wet critters something". I won't review them for certain reasons but I will say I was depressed about my options for an LFS when I walked out empty handed. That being said. LSA was a much needed surprise. I had no idea what I was in store for. There retail space is small so the hardware stock is on the light. But as with any LFS they can order things for you. But I was simply blown away by there livestock. Not one single sick or inactive fish. For me this is unheard of. My wife and I used to count the sick/dead fish in our LFS as a sad game to pass time waiting for service. Jeff and his wife are very knowledgeable and seem to care for there stock as if it were there one and only hobby tank. There store is definitely on my top 10 list and I hope to see them grow. I know I'll be making more trips out to tyler now. O also they have a BEAUTIFUL set of black percs for sale that I wish I had room and money for.

That's all for now.. Off to troll the rest of your forums and make you all obscenely low ball offers in the sales section.
lol!

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review Empty Re: Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review

Post by matt_longview Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

Hahaha. Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear you had a good experience over there! :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review Empty Re: Relocated reefer + lone start aqueriums review

Post by Bryan Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm

best advice ever ...

do the opposite of what Matt says
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm

Bryan wrote:best advice ever ...

do the opposite of what Matt says

Listen to Bryan. ;-)

Hahahahaha
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:24 pm

matt_longview wrote:
Listen to Bryan. ;-)

Smartest words you have ever spoken, looks like there is hope for you after all.

Laughing
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really starting to notice the price defrence from CA to TX in corals and equipment. Fish seem about the same so far. Kinda crazy. Should have brought my tanks here to sale them LOL. After I get my tank coral ready I'm going to call in some favors from my reef buddies over there and get some frags sent. Very Happy

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm

Let us know if something is shipping... no use ever wasting an overnight shipping without checking on a group buy. Lol.

Thanks Bryan. I'm feeling better already. Haha.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm

I'll be placing an order from http://www.reefodyssey.com/

That guy has amazing corals and his shop was only a few blocks away.

I'll be sure to mention when I place the order. I need to pick up some lights first. Looking for a T5 or LED fixture under 18" and $80.00 having a really hard time finding it. If I go PC it will limit me on corals but I could do a zoo/paly tank I guess. Maybe a few blastos. I don't really care for softies....

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm

If you don't mind DIYing some LEDs check www.aquastyleonline.com for some very reasonably priced LEDs.

I'm interested enough in trying to DIY some LEDs that I'd be willing to help you put them together if you order. If/when I sell my par 30 bulb I'll likely be ordering a set of these from them myself.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm

I think I'm going this route.
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-512404/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-515777

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

ANd maybe one of these.
http://www.aquaeurousa.com/Protein_Skimmers.htm

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:14 am

Also might DIY a bio pellet reactor for it. I like this guys design and might try a beaker with a drilled bottem and a small pump plus a cork in the top with airline as the return.
http://www.reefflix.com/video/1244/Diy-Bio-Pellet-Reactor-Reef-Aquarium

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:29 am

Welcome to East Texas & ETAK..
I see your quickly finding out about our LFS and what they have to offer.. or lack there of in some cases.. Dallas/ Ft.Worth area is a much better market if you don't mind the drive and have the "Need" to see it in-person. On-line of course.. too. If your in Longview, stop by. I always have stuff in the frag tank.
Jason
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

Oh.. 1 other thing. Watch out for that "Bryan" & "Matt"....LOL! We do enjoy our forum!
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:39 am

J.Davis wrote:Oh.. 1 other thing. Watch out for that "Bryan" & "Matt"....LOL! We do enjoy our forum!

I just get dragged into the trouble. It's never my fault! lol.

That DIY biopellet reactor looks pretty sweet. You might buy double the materials... ya know... just in case it works really well and SOMEONE wants to copy you...

... just sayin' :-D
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:58 pm

J.Davis wrote:Welcome to East Texas & ETAK..
I see your quickly finding out about our LFS and what they have to offer.. or lack there of in some cases.. Dallas/ Ft.Worth area is a much better market if you don't mind the drive and have the "Need" to see it in-person. On-line of course.. too. If your in Longview, stop by. I always have stuff in the frag tank.
Jason

Ty Jason,
I'm always up for buying from a personel tank. But I really am sold on LSA for my LFS. I've been to the stores in Dallas ad although they have a wider selection they tend to care less. A lot of dead stuff floating around and sick fish. I also don't like an LFS that butts heads with you and is to preachy preachy if you know what I mean. I plan on putting some orders in with LSA for my sexy shrimp (used them an turbos as my cleaning crew in my 40g). Small selection with high quality will trump all in my lfs rule book.

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

J.Davis wrote: Watch out for that "Bryan" & "Matt"....LOL!

BITE YOUR TOUNGE SIR !!!

Matt and I are super duper awsome dudes.

anywho, I used to have an edge with a few mods for reef needs. If you have any questions or need any help do hesitate to ask.

-Bryan
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuma Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Welcome!!!

Yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcreefer Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Thanks guys, Look forward to meeting some of you at macna or something.
Only having this 6g is killing me but things will get better soon. Its kinda killing me to go from RO to distilled jugs. From reef pro to reef crystals (YUCK). From LED/T5 to refug style lights. *sigh* O well. I'm atleast perfecting the 6G so far. Order from graf coming in tommrow of a 30.00 package of grunge, bag o bugs, and alge. Review to follow. I need to get a cleaning crew this weekend. The false perc pair I got from LSA are WINNING like charlie sheen. Pics to follow tonight. WARNING diatom bloom just happened.

Mcreefer
Cichlid
Cichlid

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:13 pm

Gotta love cycling a new tank.. Looking forward to the pics though.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by cowfish Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

Welcome! Smile

cowfish
Shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Say Hello

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum