Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

ORDER  gallon  DUAL  2011  2014  2012  

Similar topics

Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth

5 posters

Go down

Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth Empty Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth

Post by Yeti Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:39 am

Unable to sleep due to this damned cold I was intrigued to find out why my heater was showing such good Coraline growth, and yet the back of my tank, which I haven't scrubbed, is showing nothing.
My "stick on" tank thermometer reads 78F, but Mrs Y being a fully trained chef has her own calibrated thermometer, which reads 82F (with the lights off for an hour) when dipped into the water in a good flow, so much for the stick on thermometer?
32C = 82 F, which by this report is upper limit.
http://www.nature.com/ismej/journal/v5/n4/full/ismej2010152a.html

So give me some feedback please, if you have great Coraline growth, what is your temp. and do you feed. If you struggle for Coraline growth, again what is your temp, and do you feed your tank?

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Mi-Oc/Ocean-Chemical-Processes.html

Now this brings in the oxygenation of the water..... by now if you are still following this you are a "Reefhead", however, my heater is directly under the feed from my HOB filter, an area with highly oxygenated water. I feel I must be, in my sleep deprived (I've had this bug for over a week now) mind, over simplifying the cause and effect.

I don't have anywhere in my tank that I can place a small frag rack, over the heater, with an air stone, so that a piece of live rock with minimal, or zero Coraline growth upon it could stand, as a test. But if someone could, I would be very interested to see the results.
Of course this may be well known to Reefers already, in which case..ooops.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth Empty Re: Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth

Post by DonnieP Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

Yeti
Fist off, I have to dissagree with your calculation, my calculation says 32 C = 89.6 F which would be the upper end of a reef tank even. As for the stick on, I always use them along with digital for accuracy. On my 28g I have a stick on and two digital and I find that the stick on is very accurate, withing 2 degrees anyway. You should always have two types thermometers on your tank just to compare. I have a stick on and one digital on my pico, they read the same thing.

Now about the corraline and temp, as you know I have kept reefs for years and I have not always had central a/c so the temps on my old reefs used to regularly reach 85 degrees as opposed to now where it never gets over 79 and I had better corraline back then. In my pico my temp always runs right around 76.5 and not a speck of coralline. I have been dosing my 28g with one teaspoon kalk plus a two part and I find now that coralline is growing at a faster rate. I recently added two Koralia circulation pumps and I have been having to scrape the glass next to the pumps only. We have always known that current is important for coralline. Not sure if any of this info applies but its my observations.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth Empty Re: Why we may struggle here in TX with Coraline growth

Post by matt_longview Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

I just added a significant amount of flow to my tank as well. So I'll give my opinion on flow increasing it soon also. I'm also getting two part in soon too, I'm absolutely sure the two part will increase it.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:26 am

I had coraline algae growing like crazy when I was dosing the ESV B-Ionic 2 Part. Then got lazy and stopped dosing, Coraline started to fade out even in high flow areas. Tank temp runs from 78 - 79 * with controller . When using Red Sea Coral Pro, I could nt get coraline to grow period even when I started the ESV back up again. I have switched to the Aquavitro Salinity, and continue to dose the ESV and I scraped 8 -10 spots of coraline off of my glass today and it was in a "low flow area" .

just my 2 cents
Bryan
Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:56 am

Typo on Temp. Donnie, 32C = 89F.

So it seems that coraline growth is Alchemy and not a Science.

A lower temp, Donnie's pico at 76.5 has nothing, but higher seems OK, especially as my heater has growth.
Flow - Bryan has low flow, and I have growth on my powerheads.
So maybe it's the supplements we are using. Donnie do you been dosing both tanks, or just the 28G?

Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:08 am

Donnie do you been dosing both tanks, or just the 28G?

I do dose both, I been dosing the pico ever since I set it up. I do use a different brand, I use C-Balance on the pico and I must say that the numbers on the pico are always dead on. The PH has never fallen below 8.1, the calcium 400 and alk 9 DKH. I have used C-Balance over the years with great results but bought some Kent on sale way back and am using it on the 28. I will be ordering stuff soon and plan on getting C-Balance for the 28 also. The thing with C-Balance is it is a truely complete additive, it not only adds calcium and alk, it adds all the major and minor trace elements. You are correct on the coralline though, it seems it is a toss up getting it to grow, i don't think there is any magical numbers that make it explode. I still think the leds are hampering the coralline growth because it is a well known fact that coralline does not grow well under intense light and most led owners will tell you that it grows better in the shade under the leds.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

3 tanks in my house. My 75 with semi-frequent water changes and kalk dosing is covered in coraline, temp 78-80, high flow, led lights. I had a lot of coraline dosing baking soda also but not the explosion I have now with the kalk dosing. My 40 gallon has good coraline growth but my urchin eats it off the rocks. The back glass has a lot of patches of coraline but not nearly covered like the 75. Temp 76-78, high flow, rare water changes, no dosing, t5 lights. Jaiden's 10 gallon has very little coraline growth and only in the lower light areas, temp 78-80, low flow, bright par38 led light, no dosing, infrequent water changes.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down