Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

DUAL  2011  gallon  ORDER  2014  2012  

Similar topics

looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups

3 posters

Go down

looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups Empty looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups

Post by chrisdean Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:12 am

looking for some one arounf the palestine / elkhart area thats knowledgeable in sumps ,wet/dry filtration and overflows to help me set up mine im currently running a aquaclear 110 and a aquatech 60g filter to keep up and would like to get this other going to help out thanks in advance

chrisdean
zoanthid

Back to top Go down

looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups Empty Re: looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups

Post by Yeti Mon 13 Aug 2012, 2:18 am

What size of sump do you have? And do you have bio balls, filter medium, and socks for carbon etc?
After that, and a good return pump, it's just a case of measuring the lengths of pipe you need. Overflow to sump (with a ball valve in there), which goes to your pre filter sock for large particles. That can be a nice built in columb with shaped top to hold the sock. Then perhaps a trap that holds a polyester sheet (Hobby Lobby non allergic polyester wadding sheet for quilting) to catch further detritus (cheap and easy to replace), then into the section with your bio-balls. From there you could put in a carbon filtration section, as the final follow up, before the water flows through a bubble trap and into your return pump.
I would think a 55G tank would fit easily under your tank and give you bags of space to play.
Then a flexi-hose from your pump up to the tank, with another ball valve in-line, as a just in case.
And remember, that you won't want the sump full of water, that way, if there is a power outage the reverse syphon flow from the sump feed pipe will have enough space until the water level drops under the "back into tank pipe".

What I would suggest is that you have another pump to attach to your syphon for the sump. The initial sock you can rinse out, the polyester sheet you throw away, along with the carbon system you use, but for the bio-balls, I would want to be able to suck out the excessive detritus, and as it will be ground level, you will have no syphon effect. Bio-balls are great as I understand it, but when they become over loaded, they can "dump" back into your tank.

Stickzula ran a large Cichlid system, his opinion would be worth getting. I think he ran bio-balls and he would know when and how often to get that cleaned out.

If you only have the 6 Zebra's in the tank, and are running both HOB's I don't think you need to worry at the moment.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups Empty Re: looking for some one local with good knowledge on filtration setups

Post by chrisdean Mon 13 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

i dont believe its a sump it looks more like a wet/dry filter its small just wanted to run it for extra bio filtration where i get confused it the built in "overflow box" that has several chambers in it and no hole to leave the tank as the only 2 hole in the tank are one in each top back corner the box filled after i filled the tank appearently went to high even when tryin not to

chrisdean
zoanthid

Back to top Go down

Post by grawlfang Mon 13 Aug 2012, 7:49 am

lol, yea those are your overflow and return holes more then likely. you put a pump in the sump with a hose through the hole, the best idea to test if it can handle the water volume is to try when the sump is half full and turn off all your pumps to see how full it gets and you can adjust your sump lvl from that if you have to add more water or remove some.
grawlfang
grawlfang

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisdean Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:49 pm

I have some plumbing but havebto redo one part from unforseen clearencing
ISsues at set up but heres the noob in me how do you get it to start a siphon to go to the sump

chrisdean
zoanthid

Back to top Go down

Post by grawlfang Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

it shouold just be an overflow when the water in your main tank reaches the top of the overflow tube that is just gravity fed in to your sump. You need to have your pump running so you have water movement, just watch it the first few hours as you make adjustments Smile I almost over filled my main tank as it wasn't draining properly.
grawlfang
grawlfang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down