Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

gallon  2014  DUAL  2012  ORDER  2011  

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank

+7
Stickzula
aquaman
Texas Gypsy
matt_longview
Shank
Win
Yeti
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Empty Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank

Post by Yeti Tue 22 Feb 2011, 12:23 am

OK, so I was fortunate enough to be able to buy my tank from Matt. Now starts the fun, I've done the washing of glass etc. Been and bought some egg crate, and I need to find sand, or fine gravel.
This is where I turn to the experienced ones here.
Anyone know where I can find white sand, without paying through the nose to Petland (may they be infested by the fleas of a thousand camels, especially after suggesting driftwood, and then having the gall to say it would only leech colour into the water slightly, at that moment I thought they have the principles of a Baghdad market trader), or Pets-World/Co/Mart/Corporate/Insertnamehere.
I have my day off on Wednesday, and I'm thinking of hitting the Garden Centres to see if they have anything fine, and light in colour.

Rocks, Holey Rock prices.. Holy S***. I looked in Lowes and found natural rock paving, rough cut, but about 18" square for about $8, looks good for the shelves, but that then means finding rock of a similar colour for the blocks with which to build a wall. Again I'm thinking a Garden Centre place maybe a solution. Any ideas?

Also, this is the largest tank I have ever had and I'm concerned about the load bearing of the glass. The tank has a base frame with one strut, front to back in the centre. Taking to account that the bottom will have egg crate on the glass, do I need to be concerned?

OK that's it so far, you have no idea of how many questions the "Cichlid Boys" will be getting when I come to the part of stocking, get your thinking heads on guys, a fresh tank with maybe a couple of the bigger boys from my current tank (1 Blue and 1 Yellow Lab), I'm leaning towards Peacocks, but as the tank is empty, any other suggestions would be welcome, after all often the restrictions are more to do with availability and price.

Last edited by Yeti on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Empty Re: Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank

Post by Yeti Tue 22 Feb 2011, 2:55 am

OK I found this...
Short Mountain Silica 50 Lbs. Premium Play Sand

From lowes, 50lb bag for $4. I've read a bunch of forums, all say it's suitable as long as I wash it to remove the smaller particulates.
Anyone experience or opinions on this?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Tue 22 Feb 2011, 3:11 am

ahh lowes play sand. ive used it. it blows around easily if you have any current or powerheads in the tank. and its sharp and abrasive so it may irritate any catfish or sensitive bottom dwelling scaleless species you may have like loaches or whatever. also silica is a carcinogen. "I" wouldnt do it (again). id use the pool filter sand, also very cheap. and no silica in it, and its not "sharp"

heres a few pics of my tank i had used lowes playsand in (briefly)

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank 100_1187

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank 100_1182

its okay i guess if you like flyweight brown sand with micropebbles scattereda bout in it. and when i washed mine i lost over half of it... there is a TON of dust in it (even tho mine was supposed to be prewashed)
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 22 Feb 2011, 3:24 am

Thanks Win, I had a feeling someone here may have tried it already.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Tue 22 Feb 2011, 3:31 am

np! Smile
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Tue 22 Feb 2011, 5:57 am

When I set up my nursery I tried out crushed coral for the first time, I used water from my community tank and let it cycle but haven't changed the water during this time. I recently did a pH check and it's currently at 8.0. It may be pricey in the frontend, but will difinitely pay off with respect to maintaining regular buffer levels...
What I will say are the lessons learned for cleaning the damn stuff out of the bag... First lesson learned, don't dump it it a bucket and try to rinse it that way... I'd recommend using a pasta strainer and doing it in batches once the water runs clear I'd dump it in a bucket of tank water and start the next batch repeating the process... the bucket may be cloudy but that's alright and should be expected, though the less cloudy the better I guess...

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but I'm on the verge of doing this with the community tank, though I may simply remove some of the black gravel and have a mix of the preexisting substrate and the crushed coral...
Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:13 am

Yesterday I was fortunate to be chatting to a guy from a Garden Maintenance company, and naturally asked if they sold rock.
They didn't and recommended a place on Hwy 31, but asked what I wanted it for in such a small quantity. "A Cichlid fish tank".
"Oh, well we have some river rock taken from gardens we have done, you're welcome to come and have a root through that."
It seemed I had met the owner!
So today I was up there, rooting away quite merrily, and came away with this, now washed.

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Washed%20rocks

All for free!

So I then set to, playing Lego for fishkeepers.
Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Dry%20Tank

Having gone through several builds, I finally settled upon this. It's very bold for me, using the majority of big stones, but I thought it's a bigger tank, and the fish will be a decent size (some day) and there are smaller gaps if I am fortunate enough to get some breeding.
The remaining smaller stuff I may try in the 20G tank, if not, then I will have rock available.

Now it's time to get some sand/gravel and get the tank up and running ..... then it's decision time...What to put in it!!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 24 Feb 2011, 9:33 am

Very cool! You can't beat free, and it looks very nice. Thanks for the pics. Keep them coming! :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Gypsy Thu 24 Feb 2011, 11:23 am

I love your Green Spotted Puffer! I have a baby Mbu Puffer thats just a little bit bigger than yours! They're probably one of the coolest fish to watch!
Texas Gypsy
Texas Gypsy
Reefer
Reefer

https://www.facebook.com/trculpepper

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:26 pm

my puffers are about 3.5 inches long now
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:31 am

OK So the tanks up and running.
I visited Eatexer and got sand, and a couple of pieces of Holey Rock. In addition to that I have added a piece of limestone I found in France many years ago (I guess being a rock junkie has it's advantages as I must have owned this holey piece for 20 years).
I went to Micheals after scouting Petsripoff, the fake bamboo at "Pets" was $17, similar piece at Micheals on sale was about $5. So I've added some fake greenery to give further refuge if required and to break up the harshness of the "great wall of Tyler". I was slightly worried about the wall being over bearing, but now with a good bed of sand in there it's all looking more natural.
PH is at 7.8 and Temp at 80F.

Whilst I was over at Eatexers (trying not to drool over his marine) I was looking at the Peacocks he's been breeding and was thinking about the following.

Sunshine Peacocks (Gold & Blue)
Jacobs Butterfly (blue)
Cobue (Blue stripe / Yellow Head)
German Red (Ermm red?)

From my readings the Red Tops maybe a little aggressive for that mix so may give them a miss.

If I was to go with 1 male and 2 females of each what would the more experienced of you think of that as a cichlid society? Aesthetically I think I have a decent mix of colour.

12 fish in a 55G tank? Happy state, or needing a few more to keep the territorial aggression at bay?

Last edited by Yeti on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:19 am

I'll jump in and also say that if he's running both of the filters he got from me he is highly filtering this system, and it could handle being over stocked. I'm not a cichlid guy at all though!

More pictures!!! :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

Yes running both filters. I'm not sure I want it so crammed, at the same time I'm aware that a lower number can lead to aggression and the tank being ruled by one.
In the end I'm wondering if this is one of those try it and see scenarios.

More pics soon, just need to get a clear down pipe for the 2nd filter, not the McGivered white PVC tube I have attached.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:53 pm

Oh that's right! I totally forgot to mention that I actually used the tube on the end of that in my plumbing. I also forgot to give you the freshwater master test kit.

Be careful coming by now though... I'll have $300 in new corals in my tank and you'll never be able to resist saltwater!!! lol
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Thu 03 Mar 2011, 3:17 am

OK I'm ignoring Matt's comments about his tank, and making sure I never go to Longview again.

Now a question for the Cichlid Guys.
Steatocranus irvinei is a drab grey bottom dweller. BUT. There is something I find appealing about it, maybe it's the fact that the first fish I ever caught (for you young 'uns, that is before man had stepped foot on the moon, yes I remember watching that live on TV, B&W of course) in the River Eden on the border of England & Scotland where I grew up, was an Eel, and it reminds me of it, but it looks very "natural".
Does anyone have any experience of keeping these? I saw DRAF has them, but would buy them locally preferably.

Also I found PS Williamsi !! Dam what a lovely fish. Anyone breeding those? Anyone know where they are available, or is it buy over the "net"?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:31 am

OK so the next stage is complete.

A slight change to the tank (pics to follow soon), the grey mountain has gone to be replaced by "holey rock", the tank has a couple of the "tinies" from my other tank, a yellow lab hybrid and a blue hybrid, I know Mbuna don't normally mix well with Peacocks, but I thought I would test it out as they are so small, still.
If they start anything, they go back with the bad boys.

So I saw Etexer and brought home 1 M & 2 F of the following; 3 Butterfly Blue Peacocks (2' to 1.5"), 3 Capodichromis Verginalis (1"), 3 German Reds 1.5".
All have settled peacefully into the tank (thanks James) and all are healthy, even if the one Butterfly is growing at a phenomenal rate, and one German Red (I really don't refer to him as Adolf) seems to be staking his territory at the rock wall end of the tank, all 3/4 inch of him. I'm now looking for a bald fat cichlid to call Churchill, any offers?)

I'm still wondering about adding one more group of 3, which I think the tank would take comfortably.
Living in Tyler the LFS selection is .... miserable, so if anyone has any "young-uns" they have bred they are selling, which would be suitable please let me know, looking for 1M & 2F again I guess.

Also what about a Catfish/Plec? Shank I know that Green Goblin really will clash with your colour scheme, I mean how can a real Texan have a fish called "Lemon Drop" in his tank? I'll look after it for you...j/k.
Seriously though guys, I would really appreciate your experienced suggestions on a fairly readily available "bottom grubber" that would fit in, and how many I should consider.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Wed 09 Mar 2011, 8:10 am

what kinda bottom feeder do you have in mind? as far as non pleco catfish go, i really really enjoy featherfin synodontis catfishs' Smile they are cool fish for sure and easily had for cheap too Smile

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank Featherfin-catfish
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by aquaman Wed 09 Mar 2011, 11:27 am

i have a featherfin cat in my tank now and its one of my favorite fish to watch. he has a great personality and i would recommend getting one for your tank.
aquaman
aquaman
xenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Wed 09 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

heres an old pic of mine about a year ago

Death of a 55G FW Cichlid Tank 100_1227
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Wed 09 Mar 2011, 1:00 pm

Thanks guys. I'd been doing my research and was leaning towards the Featherfin but one or two reports had said about it being overly territorial (In a cichlid tank Wow!), so I wanted to ask, just in case.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Win Wed 09 Mar 2011, 1:04 pm

well... i have mine with black mollys at the moment... and it shows no intrest in even the smallest fry. Smile they do get kinda moody with other catfish tho, mine does not care for my pictus lol
Win
Win

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:30 am

Places this back under my tank build, so I'm not Hi-jacking Shanks thread.

Thanks for your input Stick. I have with my original tank what I think is most likely an all male tank, with mature males and the recent addition of a Male & 2 Female Kenyi, that have fitted in well. It's the one I started off with a couple of years ago, and they all seem happy, well as happy as grumpy cichlids ever are.

The idea with the new tank was just to have a community with potential breeding.
I have a male and 2 females left of each of the German Red & Butterfly, one male & one female of the verginalis, along with the 3 mbuna runts from the "big boys" tank.

If the runts now grow and become aggressive, then they take the trip across the lounge and rejoin the big boys.

As you said, when they mature I may see more aggression, so for the time being, other than perhaps seeing if James has a spare female verginalis, I'll let things settle.
As for any cross breeding, it's not my intention to start a breeding program as I would have a male and female from the same batch as parents, or as you said, would be hybrids.
To sell the "pure" bred (with parents from the same batch) in my mind is an unhealthy concept, look at what happened to the "European" Royal Families a couple of centuries ago, he wasn't called "Mad King George" for nothing.

Now if I were to pick up a female from another source/line, then I would be more inclined to consider the offspring as sale-able. Thats when I would need to set up a fry tank.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Sat 19 Mar 2011, 1:58 am

Hey man, I was enjoying the conversation, no worries on hijacking whatsoever, I'm just glad when topics don't just die after a couple posts!!! I've really enjoyed having the fry tank, especially since it's right next to my desk and i don't have to crank my head to watch it... but seriously having a tank for smaller fish/fry has been a real treat considering one of my big interests is macro-photography so it's a perfect outlet of tiny things to take pictures of. Especially since they're moving targets and don't respond to commands it's a fun challenge to get them in focus Smile
Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sat 19 Mar 2011, 2:47 am

You say about having your fry tank next to your desk. I don't watch TV, infact my TV is connected to the DVD player only, I don't have cable/satalite as I can't stand the frequency of the commercials, followed by a rehash of what I was just watching 120 seconds ago. Do I have such short term memory issues?
As a result I spend a lot of time at my computer, reading the BBC News, and reading up on fish and other stuff. And right by my table is my tank, no repeats, no commercials, and a great way to really get to know the character of your fish.
Now I need to get out my Canon DSLR more often and get some decent pics.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Shank Sat 19 Mar 2011, 3:09 am

Yeti wrote:You say about having your fry tank next to your desk. I don't watch TV, infact my TV is connected to the DVD player only, I don't have cable/satalite as I can't stand the frequency of the commercials, followed by a rehash of what I was just watching 120 seconds ago. Do I have such short term memory issues?
As a result I spend a lot of time at my computer, reading the BBC News, and reading up on fish and other stuff. And right by my table is my tank, no repeats, no commercials, and a great way to really get to know the character of your fish.
Now I need to get out my Canon DSLR more often and get some decent pics.

I know exactly what you mean, I lived for two years without cable or internet while I was in school, simply using the wifi available or accessing the web on campus... We would typically watch DVD's on the PS2 or play video games... and then I got into world of warcraft so any time I couldn't get internet was a problem... two and a half years of my life were spent leveling, grinding, raiding, arena-ing, and I finally got to the point where I logged off forever. I haven't played in over three years and I still say it's the best game ever, hands down digital heroin, and not to equate drugs as being good, but the game is awesome.... in fact too awesome, though I never considered that to be something that would ever be possible.
Beyond being a closet member of WoW-Anon, when we did get cable and fortunate enough to get Tivo for christmas, and rarely, if ever spent time watching live TV, mostly only at night when I was just up... maybe drinking... but even then I'd pause the live feed and start it at about a 10/15 minute lag. Commercials were an afterthought...
Fast forward, I'm married and we have multiple tvs and only one DVR in the living room of our apartment, commercials are back in the picture >_<, In our bedroom we typically only watch netflix instant queue through our Bluray player (ironically rarely used for actual discs), and then there's my office/guest room with two tanks and an old Cathode-Ray Television which is rarely ever on, unless I get the urge to stay up after the tank lights go off Razz

With respect to you getting out your camera, I'm expecting some posted soon. I hate to sound cliche but once you pop you just can't stop Wink
Sometimes I'll stay up wicked late just taking photos...

Shank
Shank
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next