Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

2011  gallon  2012  DUAL  ORDER  2014  

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

+9
cowfish
Siberman
ritter678
Jeff
J.Davis
TluvsT
DonnieP
matt_longview
Yeti
13 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by Jeff Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:39 am

I love to octopus skimmers, the ASM skimmers are a little less quality vbuilt but work well

Jeff
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by Yeti Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

Got up this morning and of course checked the tanks, looked at the Dark One, "What the H*** is that!"

On the front glass near the top was a pale white thing, which I realised was the underside of something. Open the lid, it's a tiny baby Sea Hare by the look of it.
Mrs Y tells me its spent the day trucking around the glass all day, and is now squatting in the top corner.

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 Hairy-sea-hares-are-back-hair-algae-eaters-112477
Looks like a minute one of these, it's about the size of my little finger nail when squatting.

So, erm Jason, sorry if you realised you are missing a sea hare baby, if you want it back, say so. Otherwise Mrs Y is the proud owner of the first real live tank occupant.

Either way, the question is with the tank being so new, is it fair to leave it in there.
My ammonia test is useless and I need to get a new one, I tested last night and I had a pale green gunk, not liquid, so I guess it's out of date.
I did a paper strip test, which doesn't show ammonia, but said Nitrites are zero, and Nitrates about 20ppm. Which seems strange on a tank that's only 5-6 days old. I could see Nitrites high, maybe, but not zero Nitrite and 20ppm Nitrate.

I'll have to get a test kit tomorrow before I go into work.

Also, should I think about seeding the tank, and should I put some dried sea weed in there for the critter to munch on, or is the rock algae sufficient?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:56 pm

Yeti
Leave it in there, I don't think its gonna be a baby sea hare probably some type Nudibranch, we need a picture. You are probably not going to run much of a cycle useing cured liverock and dry sand. It has been living on the liverock up till now so that is probably enough for it, besides it may be something you don't want, I believe the saying if you didn't put it in there it probably shouldn't be in there.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Donnie this is what it looks like, just very very small.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f262/hairy-sea-hares-are-back-hair-algae-eaters-112477.html
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:03 pm

DonnieP wrote:Yeti
Leave it in there, I don't think its gonna be a baby sea hare probably some type Nudibranch, we need a picture. You are probably not going to run much of a cycle useing cured liverock and dry sand. It has been living on the liverock up till now so that is probably enough for it, besides it may be something you don't want, I believe the saying if you didn't put it in there it probably shouldn't be in there.

Solid advice right there. Get a pic of it if you can. You don't have any corals yet so if it's a nudi then it will hopefully starve and die before you start collecting corals. There are a couple of nasty nudis that eat Montiporas and Zoanthids. Again a pic of it is a very good idea if you can get one.

Does it look like this?

http://reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm

Sea hares go real fast if there is no algae to eat so if that's what it is then it probably won't make it either.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

or this,

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS347US347&gcx=w&q=zoanthid+eating+nudibranchs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=685
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

Does it look like this?
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 IMG_0370

or one of these?

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 Labs10
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:49 pm

Not sure about the first one... but the others would cause problems in a reef tank. Especially the last one.
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

Again, solid advice. If you find the black lab in your tank then I will come remove it for you. If you find the meth lab then that is your problem. What a Face
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:49 pm

[url=30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 TankEnt]yeti/TankEnt.jpg[/url]

This is the Tank Ent side view

[url=30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 2 TankEntBellyMouth[/url]

Tank Ent Mouth, belly and antennae

I don't think it's a Chocolate Meth Lab, but I bet that would sell!

Oh, and it's been eating some Nori Seaweed I have for the Mbuna's.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

Stomatella snail is my guess. Harmless algae grazer.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:19 am

Good call Ritter, looked it up on google, and it's looking very much like that. I was just watching it eat the Nori, and it has the lateral breathing tube, and what looks like a back plate shell.
Thanks everyone for their input.....especially Jason's, I was looking at the possibility of adding a Chocolate Lab to the tank to add water movement.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

Good call on the nori. :-) I'm in the 1 snail per 2 gallons of water club. When the tank matures a bit and starts to get some algae growth, I'd go with a few turbos and nerites. I'm a nerite fan for some reason. They keep my glass pretty well spotless! They do seem dang near useless for my rock though... maybe someone has a suggestion for a rock snail.
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:45 am

ritter678 wrote:Stomatella snail is my guess. Harmless algae grazer.
+1 ^^^^
J.Davis
J.Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:10 am

ritter678 wrote:Stomatella snail is my guess. Harmless algae grazer.

+1 dead on.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sat 01 Oct 2011, 5:58 pm

matt_longview wrote:Good call on the nori. :-) I'm in the 1 snail per 2 gallons of water club. When the tank matures a bit and starts to get some algae growth, I'd go with a few turbos and nerites. I'm a nerite fan for some reason. They keep my glass pretty well spotless! They do seem dang near useless for my rock though... maybe someone has a suggestion for a rock snail.

I'd get the smallest Mexican turbos available then trade them off when they get big enough to start knocking things over. I have the small (trochus ? ) that breed in the aquarium and they do a decent job. My nerites always ended up climbing out of the tank.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Sat 01 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

I'd get the smallest Mexican turbos

+1 on the Mexican turbos, best snail available!
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 02 Oct 2011, 3:21 am

As I lie back on the psychologist's couch....

Zo Herr Yeti, how iz it goink thiz veek?

Well Herr Doctor, life is calmer, and yet more stressful.

Und how iz that zo Herr yeti, iz thiz vork zat iz givink you der stress?

No Herr Doctor, it's my latest project tank, I'm establishing a Reef Tank.

Und vy iz zis creatink the stress, und yet you zay you are calmer, thiz iz un interestink dichotomy of feelinks.

Well Herr Doctor, the problem is that in creating the reef I am trying to copy nature, but in only 30 gallons of water, plus sump of course, to do this requires that I initially try and create a mini ocean, then I have to add life to the ocean, stage by stage, in the correct order.

Ack ja, I understand, you can not be havink zer blue vale, vithout zer krill.

Erm yes Herr Doctor, but lets say I'm going just a little smaller than that.

Zer Dolphinks perhaps, oder perhaps zer barracudas?

Nein Herr Doctor, much smaller.

Ack, you English just never could see der Global Plan!

Ahem Herr Doctor.

Ack I am zorry Herr Yeti, so as you ver sayink.

Yes Herr Doctor, I am spending time sitting and looking at rocks in water, I get excited when I spy yet another Bristle Worm, that's 3 so far. I post on a forum when I see a new unknown critter, where similar affected persons respond swiftly, Frau Yeti will sit on the floor with me and spy copepods, that's little water flea like critters, shining a tiny LED flashlight into crevices within the rock and with glee show each other what we have found.
In my free time I am researching water flow, skimmers, powerheads, sump designs, and where to source a clean up crew, and then I can't decide which I should get... the stress is dreadful.

But you zay you have also the peace finded? How kann this zo be?

Well Herr Doctor, watching these small critters also induces calm, watching a Bristle Worm slowly trundle across a rock, scavenging for food, the Ent Snail trucking across the glass as it scents the Nori Seaweed, small feather like anenomes appearing from thin tiny white calcified tubes, spreading their super fine fingers to catch anything edible that passes, well Herr Doctor, it's so relaxing.

ACK! Your problem is an easy one to diagnose, you have zer Reefers syndrome from which zer is know known cure, infact it can only get vorse, it vill start viz der 30 gallon und lesser signs, und it often vill become der full syndrome... hundreds of gallons of zer Reef.
Herr Yeti, Gut Afternoon, and be gone from here, you are beyond saving und redemption, you vill not darken my door again, you have been contaminated wiz der disease for vich zer no cure.
You vill not play zer golf, because you vill not vant to spend the 4 hours hitting a white ball around zer field ven you could be doink zer vasser change.
Ze idea of spendink der dollars on beer un der partyink vill be reprehensible, as you vill see dat as a vaste, ven you could be spendink ze dollars on ze Chroma Clam or ze Feather Duster.
Your Tennis shoes will do for another 6 months, ven you zee the sexy Gorilla Nipples available.
Yu vill not realise der time has passed as you vatch a hermit crab vork the sand und gravel looking for ze food.

No Herr Yeti, I think you have bekome der lost cause.

.....OH!... OK Herr Doctor..... well in that case I guess I won't have to pay you, and well after all, you will understand, it's you or this really sexy pair of Black Clown fish. Ich bedanken Sie, und Ich bin off to the fish store.

Guys I fought it, Oh how I fought it, I knew that it was an addiction. As I sit here watching my Peacock Cichlids mature, showing their Electric blues, and on the other side my salt water tank with the purple coraline almost glow. Forget Crack Heroine I have Cichlid Reef syndrome, far more addictive...and it's legal! But now I fully understand it. I've also become a Reefer.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:55 am

Did you write zoolander?

Just curious...

Lol. Hilarious post, and yet filled with truth!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:44 pm

Don't feel bad , Yeti. I've stared for hours at a new tank with only water in it. Those air bubbles are mesmerizing. Laughing
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:50 pm

DonnieP wrote:
I'd get the smallest Mexican turbos

+1 on the Mexican turbos, best snail available!

Algae mowers par excellance. Bigger ones tend to knock unsecured pieces over though, and they (IME) can develop a taste for coralline.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:05 am

OK, internet satalite was kaputt today... I had a call from Wild Blue satalite Internet service (Yeah life in the sticks) recorded message saying that "the satalite was having problems and they hoped to have it fixed by Friday morning"..

I'm sorry but somehow my mind then saw this happening

"Hey Bob, yo copy? It's brad here in Ops, we got a problem with the southern US satalite."

"Yeah Brad I copy"

"Yeah Bob what's your 20?"

"Yeah Brad I just left SpaceLab PetBoys, had my flux reactor serviced and I'm just over New Zealand, catching the Rugby World Cup."

"Well Bob, we need you to get to the satalite covering Texas for Wild Blue Internet, how long?"

"Oh no problem Brad, subject to space debris, about 3 hours, but I gotta tell ya, I'm out of those little 50 cent blue fuses"

"Oh %#@*, I bet that's all it is"

OK on a more SW note.
I added my two Koralia 550 powerheads at lunchtime, and darn it, I now have brown algae blooming over 50% of the upper facing rock.... guess that's the cycle underway.

Also the Asterina starfish have split, one s still looking complete, but the other has now split into 3 parts.
The Bristle worms and Pods are multiplying like mad, I guess when the first fish are introduced they will have a great time.
Also saw for the first time what looks to be a tiny brittle starfish, maybe at the most diameter of a penny, black and brown bands down the legs.
And finally, another snail, not the "Tank Ent" but a normal looking snail, tiny, but trucking across the back glass of the tank.

Sorry if I'm boring you guys, but darn it, we find it so interesting.
I wonder when we can add the first crabs and shrimp! I'll test Nitrite and Nitrate on Saturday, and if it's zero and extremely low (Nitarte 0.5 and under), then is it time to add snails and other clean up crew?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

Yeti wrote:The Bristle worms and Pods are multiplying like mad, I guess when the first fish are introduced they will have a great time.

Purple and bi-color basslets will reduce the bristle worm population.

Also saw for the first time what looks to be a tiny brittle starfish, maybe at the most diameter of a penny, black and brown bands down the legs.

Young brittlestar. Look at " Indo-Pacific Sea Farms " for genuine miniature starfish .

Sorry if I'm boring you guys, but darn it, we find it so interesting.
I wonder when we can add the first crabs and shrimp! I'll test Nitrite and Nitrate on Saturday, and if it's zero and extremely low (Nitarte 0.5 and under), then is it time to add snails and other clean up crew?

.5 nitrate ( NOT NITRITE) and you're ready to add snails and crabs . I'd add scarlet hermit and mithrax crabs along with nacarrias , trochus, turbo , cerinth and bumblebee snails.
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm

Thanks Siber, I did a liquid test when I got home, and I'm reading between 5 and 0 ppm of Nitrate, so no fish for a while, and not even sure about adding snails or crabs yet.
I'm hoping to get more live rock soon, so hopefully that will help the process.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Siberman Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

5 or less ppm nitrate is fine. I won't even tell you some of the readings I've had in the past. Embarassed Always err on the side of caution , though. Give it a week and if you're not showing ammonia, nitrite or a rise in nitrate : go for it (slowly of course).
Siberman
Siberman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next