Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to East Texas Aquarium Keepers.
Please feel free to Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Good place to get Limestone rocks?
by sheridan Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

» Looking for Apex AWM module
by BBolen Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

» Selling my Red Sea Max 130D
by TWBriz Tue 05 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

» Collectors sps frag pack
by blueseatex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

» Selling a couple of tanks
by Danny21 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

» Reef Breakdown Sale
by David012081 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

» Reef tank breakdown sale.
by ritter678 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

» Converting 90 gallon reef tank to freshwater sale
by oifwarvet Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

» mp10Wes,Storm controller, oxidator
by blueseatex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

» FREE starry blenny. Very healthy.
by jakebetts0501 Sun 08 Nov 2015, 2:17 am

» Help with lighting.
by oifwarvet Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:55 am

» equipment bonanza
by Carabelli Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

» Need to Sell all livestock and LR
by grawlfang Sat 24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

» Fish tank and equipment for sale!
by anthonydsims34 Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

» North Texas Reef Fanatics October Coral Frag Swap
by markmesquite Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Sponsors
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Screen-capture-1
Like/Tweet/+1
Keywords

gallon  2014  DUAL  2011  ORDER  2012  

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

+9
cowfish
Siberman
ritter678
Jeff
J.Davis
TluvsT
DonnieP
matt_longview
Yeti
13 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by reileywatts Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

+1 on the Mysis Shrimp, been using it for the last 4 yrs, EVERYTHING loves it!!!
reileywatts
reileywatts

Back to top Go down

30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Empty Re: 30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside

Post by Yeti Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm

Thanks guys, I bought some Mysis today, and what a change. Both of them were sweeping and diving, this stuff is definitely Clown Crack. I would swear the female clown gave me a look that said "At last, he's read the feeding manual" as she gulped a shrimp whole.

And... another question. Does coraline start off looking white? I've hundreds of little white deposits on the acryllic, I use the mag-cleaner and it feels almost like sand, but then comes off with a firm sweep, so it's not sand being held on by static.
If it is coraline, then this tank is becoming a coraline factory!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm

Shouldn't start white. More than likely little filter feeders. My chaeto was likely loaded with them. Either pineapple sponges or little feather dusters. If you look at them closely do they spiral a little bit?
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm

Good deal Yeti, I figured the Mysis would do the trick, aint much can turn it down and thats all I feed and my fish are nice and fat.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Fri 28 Oct 2011, 1:41 am

Oh to be 26 again.....
Matt I wear bi-focal glasses, I have lousy distance vision, and have to have the other part for reading....if I look at them closely...I see very small blurred white things...at 4 inches, I see white dots, and probably at the distance that you could see if they swirl or not, I wonder what you're looking at.
I think I'll just clean the front and sides and leave them on the back, and see what transpires.
And before one of you asks, no, I don't have a magnifying glass... I'm not that blind...yet ;-)
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:46 am

OK I saw this.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23976

What do you think?

I would love to create the wave effect, and I'm thinking the couple of small "dead zones" may be removed without adding a 3rd head, on the other hand, for that I can add another powerhead... looks at my $100 deal, darn it, I have 1 or 2 sitting there, but it won't create the effect.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

I'd save up a little more money and look into a controller like a reefkeeper or apex. You can get a Lite or Jr. model for about $30 more than the wavemaker and the controller will run a lot more than just powerheads. I have a Reefkeeper Lite on my 75 and it controls my lights, heater, powerheads (I don't have them set up though). Basically you can get a controller to run anything on your reef depending on how much you want to spend. A reef keeper or apex jr start out at about $100 I think.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:28 am

I think I must be getting the salinity bug, and bad.

Today was a bad day at work, minimal management cover (Vacation & National Guard duty, so fair reasons to be away), and we were busy, so I was on the go all day. By this afternoon my customer service smile is fixed on my face, liken the look to the one you give the dentist when he welcomes you to his chair... you get the idea.
Then my phone beeps, a picture? Mrs Y sending me a pic, of my clowns, hosting my Green Hairy!!
How sad have I become? My day got brighter, after 4 weeks of trying to get them to notice it, they go and host...when I'm at work.
I swear I felt like the father that misses his kid's first faltering steps, beaming but miffed. BUT... not as miffed as the Green Hairy, it's really miffed at being stroked and loved upon, it keeps shrinking tighter than a dogs butt sitting on a patch of ice.... grins, I thought that was a pretty good description ;-)

Yeah I have all the signs of in-salinity.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:31 am

Congrats Yeti.. It's a special moment the First time your clowns start hosting... !
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:40 pm

I think I may have to look for a bubble anemone, the green hairy is sulking like mad, such that it has hardly opened/extended for 2-3 days. I moved the GHM lower in the tank, and of course Sybil&Sam just followed it (yeah my clowns are named), so I'm thinking that maybe a bubble will entice them away, and not sulk?
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

Yeti wrote:I think I may have to look for a bubble anemone, the green hairy is sulking like mad, such that it has hardly opened/extended for 2-3 days. I moved the GHM lower in the tank, and of course Sybil&Sam just followed it (yeah my clowns are named), so I'm thinking that maybe a bubble will entice them away, and not sulk?

Give it a little time Yeti, the shroom will get used to the clowns and open up again.
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:02 am

OK, thanks Donnie. I would like to have the tank more established prior to adding any anemone.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:20 am

My green hairy mushrooms don't even move at all when the clowns lay, swim, bite, smack or whatever else they feel like doing to those guys.

They'll get used to it for sure. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:44 am

Late evening, relaxing with a chilled glass in my hand, and as I frequently can be found, watching Reef TV.
Tonights episode (and there has rarely been a dull episode so far) is Hermit Moving, starring Red Legged Hermit.
Naturally there is always a bye line story, and tonights was, did you know that a green mushroom changes colour when a hermit drags it's shell over the mushroom? The Mushroom, normally a fairly drab "hunters" green, when the shell of the hermit was dragged over half the surface suddenly shrank a little, less than I expected, but also developed these bright green lines, radiating from the centre.
30 minutes later and all is back to normal.
But the main feature was the Hermit House Move... or not.
It took about 30 minutes. This is one of the Red Legged Hermits I got last week, and it is already in a new shell. (We found shells for about $3 at Michael's hobby & craft store).
Firstly upon finding the alternate empty shell, a quick peek inside.
It backed out, moved to the close/pointed end of the shell, then lifting it and rotating it slowly, out popped an air bubble.
Turning the shell to face the crab, another search inside, and a few bits of gravel were evicted, another search, and then turning it again so the mouth of the shell is facing away, back to rotating, always in the counter direction of the snail shell curl.
Then out poured some more gravel. More turning it again, as the rotation is always done with the mouth of the vacant shell facing away from the hermit, and out popped another air bubble.
Again, the shell is moved so the crab is again facing the opening, and he holds the opening very close to the opening of his shell.

By now I'm stood up, to gain a full view.

Then taking about 2 seconds, out comes it's body, a quick twist, and it slips into the new shell, Still holding the vacated shell opening to the new homes opening.
For about 3 seconds.
Then out the body comes, and slips back into the original shell. Not that suitable I guess.
Even 30 minutes later, it's still holding the empty shell, as though undecided.

I give Reef TV a thumbs up, great viewing, and....... no frelling commercials!
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

That's awesome! I haven't been able to catch one switching shells yet. :-)
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:43 am

How persistent can snails be? Seems the suction cup of the heater had come slightly lose on the tank, and yes, it had trucked up, lifted the cup, and then found itself trapped.
Then looking at the heater itself, well by gosh! Coraline growth appearing, so then a look at the powerheads, and what I thought was brown algae is infact coraline too.
I kept thinking that the coraline growth on some of the rocks I got from Jason was looking brighter/deeper purple, but as Mrs Y commented "even the turbo's are becoming covered in it."

I've been down with this dratted chest infection for the last week that's hitting Tyler, but hoping to get my sump finished and set up this weekend.
Then I will be able to add more fish, I'm leaning towards a 6 line Wrasse, seem to be fully reef suitable and shrimp friendly, I'd like a "Dory", but they grow to big for my 30. I'd like something that was comfortable "top of tank" swimming
Anthias seem pretty, but difficult.
I would love either a Blackcap Basslet/Gramma, although not sure of it's compatibility with shrimp.
Or a Blue Assessor, lovely colour, but bloody expensive.
Chromis, sorry...boring..yawn.
So it looks like its some type of Damsels, I'm thinking 3-4 so they shoal.

Oh and I saw Snowflake Clowns in Petco last week. Ever been happy you have another type of clown in your tank? They are so-so-so pretty, but I'm not going to try and upset Sybil and Sam.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:01 am

OK so I thought it was time to reveal just what the tank is looking like. The tank is just under 3 months old, my cycling was shorter than expected due to the amount of live rock I added, and the live sand also from Jason.

Coraline growth has been far more prolific than I expected, and looking back at some of the pics from a couple of months ago I can see just how much that has taken off.

So here goes...........

Full Tank
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Fulltank19Decsmall

Left side, as you can see, a Kenya Tree, which was a piece that broke off Mrs Y's "rock of plenty" that came with her JBJ. I shoved it into a hole in the rock shelf, and it's grown 4X in about 2 months (should see her tank for growth of softies!) The Pulsing Blue Xenia is from Gabe. The pulsing took about 3 weeks to start and is so cool to watch, as the ends slowly close and open.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 LSidesmall

Middle of tank
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Midtanksmall

Right side
The large lump of dead coral is a project in waiting. I think I would like to find 1/2/3 compatible zoas which could spread over the face. Also the Bottle Brush is now starting to gain a branch on the upper surface... growth.. I love to see growth.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 RSidesmall

The Frag Forest. As most of the frags are used to a high light I placed them as high as I can, I'll see how they get on, and then once I have finalised the rock lay out, I'll try some slow movement to perhaps mid levels.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Fragforest1small

I like this one as you can see the almost Electric green of the Cats Paw I tried and tried to get shots that would show both the colour and the number of polyp heads on the SPS, but failed. I noticed yesterday that the Green Slimer is actually starting to branch! That is truly gratifying, as I read it's a hard one to keep.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 FragForest2small

Orange Spotted Goby "Mr Eyebrows", I really like this guy, shy, quiet and totally non aggressive, but just looks good.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 MrEyebrows1small

The bastions of the Green Hairy Mushroom, all day long Sybil rolls and stroke the GHM, as though she is tied by an unseen umbilical cord. Then once the lights go to the LED night light, she deserts it for the open water at the top of the tank, and Sam takes over the night shift, again rolling in it, like a dog in S**t.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 SamSybiltheposerssmall

I had seen pics of the Pink Birdsnest, and although it looked OK I hadn't been really taken by it. Then when I got one as part of the frag package off Tony / Grimreefer, and it was in my tank, I can see why it's so popular. I'm excited to see that there are several small white bumps developing on the horizontal branches. This has become one of my favourites. It is much much pinker in the tank.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 PinkBirdnestsmall

This is the Snowflake I got off Gabe. As I posted a while ago, the frag had broken into a few pieces, 3 of which I attached to the one piece of rock. They are spreading nicely, I love the blue colour and the small delicate heads of each polyp.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 Snowflakesmall

A recent addition, and as a softy lover, this is a great one to watch in the water current, I jammed the base rock into a small crevice in the rock, and it's only been a couple of weeks and already starting to spread it's base onto the rock.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 WavingHand2small

This is something Jason gave me when I got my live rock from him (along with some Texas trash, which you may have noticed is growing like a weed.... thanks buddy :-) I have no idea what this is, but it like's it here, as it's spreading off the frag.
30G Bow Tank.....Leaping into the darkside - Page 4 NoIdeasmall

My intention is to allow the coraline to spread over the back of the tank, and if possible the left side of the tank, that being said I'm wondering about the possibility of getting some frag plugs, drilling out the stem of the plug and inserting a magnet, then placing a magnet on the outside of the back of the tank. That way I can attach softies.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieP Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

Yeti
Looks like your jump into the darkside is working well! For three months that tank looks fantastic, you can be very proud of what you have accomplished thus far. very nice coralline growth also!
DonnieP
DonnieP

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrys1991 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

Looking good Yeti!
Terrys1991
Terrys1991
Montipora
Montipora

Back to top Go down

Post by matt_longview Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Sweeeet!!! :-)

Good work buddy!
matt_longview
matt_longview

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Yeti wrote:OK so I thought it was time to reveal just what the tank is looking like.

Past due if you ask me! Smile

Yeti wrote:I'm leaning towards a 6 line Wrasse, seem to be fully reef suitable and shrimp friendly,
I would love either a Blackcap Basslet/Gramma, although not sure of it's compatibility with shrimp.
Or a Blue Assessor, lovely colour, but bloody expensive.
Chromis, sorry...boring..yawn.
So it looks like its some type of Damsels, I'm thinking 3-4 so they shoal.

Sixlines are cool fish but they can be aggressive. Mine wouldn't leave my Royal Gramma or my mandarin alone. The gramma was quick enough to hide but it stayed hidden all day. The mandarin was almost killed by the wrasse. The sixlines are awesome fish though if that's what you want to keep. Mine used to do a sideways dance along the front glass when I walked by.

You yawn at Chromis but look into Blue Reef Chromis, not the blue/green ones. I had one for months and it was one of the coolest fish I've ever had. I'm not sure what happened to mine, it just recently vanished but I will be looking to get another. Open water swimmers, non aggressive and they have some personality. I've read though that if you keep more than one they will just kill each other off until there is only one left.

I have no experience with black cap basslets but royal grammas are maybe my favorite of all.

3 or 4 damsels won't shoal. They will just run each other ragged around the tank and probably harass anything else you keep in there.

Check out Bangaii cardinals too. If I was to start over again I would not have a tank without a pair of Bangaiis. They can reproduce in aquariums also which is cool and you can become our local supplier of Bangaii. Very Happy
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Davis Tue 20 Dec 2011, 7:21 pm

Tank looks great! I'd suggest looking at the Blue Reef Chomis also.. maybe the Orange Line Cardinal. Not a fan of the Bangaii Smile
J.Davis
J.Davis

http://TheZoaGarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reileywatts Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

Tank is looking great man!! I've got a huge Bangaii and we love him, really cool fish. Also have a Royal Gramma and 3 blue/green chromis. The Chromis will shoal. We've had the Gramma for a long time and its my wife's favorite. Not a fan of damsels!!
reileywatts
reileywatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeti Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

Thanks guys for the compliments, but I would point out I've been reading the experts posts on here for several months, and had lots of support in getting the tank like this.

Blue Reef Chromis looks like a nice option, maybe 3 so they would school.
Then either a Royal Gamma or the 6 line Wrasse ( a gamble, but I love the way they seem to cruise the rocks), I'm not sure if the Gamma is a rock cruiser or a hole dweller.
Yeti
Yeti

Back to top Go down

Post by ritter678 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:49 pm

The gramma isn't a rock cruiser. The six line is a better choice if that's what your looking for.

Congrats on your first reef tank. You're definitely doing it right.
ritter678
ritter678

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next